Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Optotronics Premium +10mW Green Laser w/ Special Effects

Hello forum,

I have a few questions about the Optotronics Premium +10mW Green Laser w/ Special Effects (link). I live in the USA (Texas).

1st: How does it differ in quality (not max output) from this Amazon bargain (link)? I have this laser already. I have had mixed experiences with it. The output varies significantly and sporadically. Putting fresh Duracell AAA Alkaline batteries into gives it max output for a very short time. Around 40 seconds. Then it goes down into a lower output for abut 3 minutes, before the batteries are already drained. I also use NiMH batteries from Rayovac (1.2v, 800 mAh) and those last a bit longer, but the laser isn't as bright. Also, the casing was good for a while, but eventually the copper-colored ring where the battery compartment screws into kept slipping out and now needs to be constantly readjusted to stay in place. The button is also kinda picky and is somewhat difficult to press down perfectly so the laser outputs correctly. I've heard good things about Optotronics lurking around this forum. They only offer a 90-day warranty for the laser though and the product looks exactly like the one I already have. Will I have better battery life with the Optotronics laser? More consistent output? Better quality casing?

2nd: What AAA battery is best for either of these lasers? I've seen a bunch of threads with wildly different replies. It seems like the Sanyo Eneloop are popular, but they only output at 1.2v and would therefore cause my laser to have a lower max output. Then there is the PowereGenix NiZn batteries which have a higher output voltage at 1.6 (possibly 1.8 when fresh) and could drastically lower the laser's lifespan, or not even work at all frying the diode. Some people have said to try a 10440 but they also seem to have similar problems like the PowerGenix, need some sort of spacer because of their odd size, and have lower longevity because they are so much smaller. Some people say to stick to regular non-rechargeable Alkaline, but those only output 1.5v for a short time and rapidly lose voltage. From what I saw, the Energizer Ultimate Lithium series batteries seem to have the fewest cons, with consistent voltage, regular size and long longevity, but like the Alkalines are not rechargeable. Because most of these recommendations inquired about the OP's laser, it seems as those any of these options should be carefully examined to determine what is best for that certain laser, so here I am.

I am willing to spend a reasonable premium for quality. Cheap NiMH and a cheap laser have led to a mixed experience with high(er)-output lasers. When my cheapie is working perfectly, it is sheer awesome. But that is a rare occurrence, especially longer into it's life.

Thanks everyone!

You will likely find that the opto pen will look the same, possibly feel about the same.

In terms of quality I doubt it would be a contest though... the opto should provide you with a more stability. Optotronics tests, and backs up their sales, more so than most.

For the optotronics pen, use normal, preferably brand name, alkaline batteries.

For the Amazon one, personally I'd go for a 10440, and a spacer... most likely you will get a little more power and stability out of the laser that way.

the sanyo eneloops are the safest/easiest option though.

Got a very quick, definitive response from Optotronics. Didn't think to ask him first.

Use either normal alkaline or NiMH, I prefer alkaline, but thats just me. The energizer lithium is about 1.65 to 1.7v and is too high a voltage and will damage them and void warranty, the 10440 is way too much voltage at almost 4v. Stick with NiMH or alkaline.

Thanks
Jack

Glad to see I was right about the opto pen. Thanks for posting the reply from Jack, always good to have confirmation.