Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

optics breadboard

Anyone here have a optics table they would like to share pictures of or good sources for them? it seems like I will have to spend 650 to get my hands on one.

Yep, I paid ~$600 for my breadboard. It was used, covered in some weird glue stuff I had to clean off, but it was a discount from the $1300+ship retail. If you can't get by with making your own, then you will have to pay a nice amount of $$. You can find cheap ones on eBay, but even still between shipping and all, expect to pay a few hundred.

Another option might be one of those aluminum breadboards. Forgot who sold them, I think Melles Griot and some other place did, but its a chance to get a brand new name brand board for <$500.

Switch

Was just wondering, what do they consist in? Are they so hard to make to have such a high price?Do they come with lenses and mounts and other stuffs? :p

Usually a steel honeycomb structure although there are cheaper ones that are just aluminum slabs. Its not like you can just go to home depot, pick up a piece of metal and drill some holes in it though. Breadboards/optical tables are often for scientists is labs, and you know how picky they can be! Breadboards need to be extremely rigid, extremely flat surface, perfectly placed and tapped holes, everything to excessively low tolerances, etc. so that when you start working with interference and things where precise alignment is crucial, at least you know its not your table thats causing the problem! (and for that price, it better damn well not be, lol)

pseudonomen137 said:
Usually a steel honeycomb structure although there are cheaper ones that are just aluminum slabs. Its not like you can just go to home depot, pick up a piece of metal and drill some holes in it though. Breadboards/optical tables are often for scientists is labs, and you know how picky they can be! Breadboards need to be extremely rigid, extremely flat surface, perfectly placed and tapped holes, everything to excessively low tolerances, etc. so that when you start working with interference and things where precise alignment is crucial, at least you know its not your table thats causing the problem! (and for that price, it better damn well not be, lol)

Indeed, CNC drilled bread boards are probably near .003 tolorance for hole alignment and very rigid. I dont need anything this precise but it would be a nice piece for sure

Now I have to decide if I want a blue lab laser or a optics board more! That is of course unless pseudonomen137 gets me a good enough deal on one :)

L

likewhat

dont forget you will need some mounts to bolt into that optical bored. I use the ones from thorlabs because they are the cheapest, but they are still like 15 bucks each for a post holder and post. If you arent using those you might as well just find a piece of metal and drill and tap holes where you need them for whatever kind of mounts you decide to use.

A full size optical table costs at least 4 grand by the time you get it home with legs on it, they dampen vibrations and you can "float" them on some air bags to decouple them from the floor if you need to.

likewhat said:
dont forget you will need some mounts to bolt into that optical bored. I use the ones from thorlabs because they are the cheapest, but they are still like 15 bucks each for a post holder and post. If you arent using those you might as well just find a piece of metal and drill and tap holes where you need them for whatever kind of mounts you decide to use.

A full size optical table costs at least 4 grand by the time you get it home with legs on it, they dampen vibrations and you can "float" them on some air bags to decouple them from the floor if you need to.

thats way overkill for a home enthusiast, i just want something to mount up mirrors and other optics to which will also mount my laser.

Yeah, if this is just a hobbyist projector, buy a cheaper aluminum one, or if its a DIY thing you're not worried about variancing and all, you can even just make your own. I wouldn't go so far as calling breadboard overrated though Andy ;) - its just not what you need for your application