Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Opinions: Best +/-$200 Green Laser?

Hi, I'm new here...I've found all my information so far on this forum. I'm looking for a really nice 532mn laser around~$200. I'm considering a few based on the following:

• IR filter is important
  • Beam visibility more important than burning power
  • Reasonable duty cycle (60 seconds or more)
  • Low divergence
  • Build quality ( and aesthetics) of utmost importance
  • Shipping to USA

Opto-150mw: is it worth getting if I already have the 100mw? My Opto100 is one of my favorite possessions, but I'd like something with a really sweet host.

Rayfoss 200mw: Looks nice but isn't it dangerous? No ir filter, right? Do these even compare with the Opto's in terms of quality?

Call me shallow, but I enjoy gadgets that are aesthetically pleasing.

Asherz

Optotronics does have superb quality, but I don't think upgrading to the same model only 70mW more (peak) is worth the effort.

Rayfoss lasers are great, the quality is ok but not as great as optotronics, but then again MOST of the time you pay for what you get.

Recently Wickedlasers have got their act together, and while there lasers are still pretty expensive some members are selling some pretty cheap, the aesthetics are great and the quality is always pretty nice:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/fs-wicked-lasers-evolution-pro-145mw-48137.html

that in my opinion is a good deal + it's a little different to your optotronics host :)

I'm not too sure about the IR filter though, TBH in my opinion it's not really necessary and it adds to burning capabilities, and the divergence on the IR is normally pretty decent.

Thanks, that looks like a great laser---pretty expensive new, but I guess I could look on the forum. I read on here that an IR filter is important to protect your eyes, am I right? Will looking at the dot be any more/less harmful with or without the IR filter? Does looking at the dot even matter on entry level lasers?

Last edited:

Asherz

Thanks, that looks like a great laser---pretty expensive new, but I guess I could look on the forum. I read on here that an IR filter is important to protect your eyes, am I right? Will looking at the dot be any more/less harmful with or without the IR filter? Does looking at the dot even matter on entry level lasers?

Buy a decent set of goggles from dragonlasers, they have a pair that blocks blu-ray all the way upto green.

http://www.dragonlasers.com/catalog...reen-Lasers-Protection-190-548nm-p-16242.html

Good price as well :)

The IR filter is a touchy issue, some people like too have one, some people don't bother. I personally have an O-Like 150mW module without an IR filter and don't have a problem, looking at the dot against the wall on it's own is not harmful, just SERIOUSLY watch out for reflective surfaces if you are pointing your laser without your goggles on.

When burning ALWAYS use your goggles.

If the IR filter is an issue too you, you can purchase little IR filter squares that can be put across the aperture of your laser, thus removing any escaping IR. They are not expensive but I cannot recall where to buy them from, I'm sure a member will point you in the right direction.

GL.

PS: It might also be worth checking out o-like.com, similar to rayfoss but I prefer their customer services and products. Also stay away from Beamcheap.com, they have been found to be lying on several occasions on this forum and are not trustworthy, they are a sister company of O-like but owned by different people.

Thanks. I've dealt with o-like, and they're great. I may just go for that evolution though--it's a really appealing laser, and according to Wicked it has no duty cycle? I would guess that this laser is very stable and has lots of headroom based on that.

Asherz

Thanks. I've dealt with o-like, and they're great. I may just go for that evolution though--it's a really appealing laser, and according to Wicked it has no duty cycle? I would guess that this laser is very stable and has lots of headroom based on that.

I don't know about unlimited, but too keep it going with a long and healthy life I wouldn't keep it on much longer than 3 minutes, but on occasion you could leave it on a little longer :)