Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Opinion on o-like Power Rock Green laser Torch 50mW /Focusable&Waterproof?

http://www.o-like.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=164

Pretty new to lasers and the forum (hence my 3 or so posts...), wondering what more experienced users think about this laser. Comes with a holster, charger, and battery, which is pretty nice. Shipping is $10, which I was more ok with when I was considering a 1W 445nm from the same site, but now that I'm finding better values from people selling here, it's a bit bigger chunk of the whole cost.

Mainly looking for a good visible-beam laser, and this looked like a relatively inexpensive option. Plus, I don't really see any low-mid power greens in the for sale section of the forum.

--Thanks in advance!

Guess I should probably specify what I mean by "pretty new":
Definitely been doing a lot of reading up (mostly on these forums, really helpful resource, so my thanks to all you guys), and have bought 3 lasers so far. Haven't had what I'd call the best luck:
Laser 1: "50mw" green pen laser from suntekstore
-Took almost a month to ship
-In fact a 1mw, and labeled as such
-drained at ridiculously unexpected speeds (halfway convinced batteries were discharging when laser was not in use)
-eventually got "partial refund" (never actually arrived)
Laser 2: "1W" blue laser from aoble (site is now... down by hackers, or something. I don't know.)
-Took close to two months to ship
-Pretty decent, but I strongly doubt it's near 1W.
-Not focusable as per claim
Laser 3: third verse, same as the first... (another "50mw", giving suntekstore benefit of the doubt)
-Works sporadically, if at all
-Ordered after laser 2, arrived a month sooner
-Eventually discovered through many emails, the 50mw never actually existed, it was a typo on the site (on multiple products)

So now after reading some more, I've come here for the greater reliability of buying from an actual person, heh.

Last edited:

ENX

The Power Rock is an ok host. It's a nice size package, but the fittings and battery are a little cheapish. I bought one of the 1W 445, which if you read the specs is > 800mW, not 1W, which was really still powerful for one of my first lasers. I am assuming the green 50mW is the same host package and same quality.

For a first laser, I would recommend something like Swim's overspecs green. It has a nice beam at night. Uses standard AAA batteries, and if you're in the US, you can get it quick. Shipped for ~ $20. Link

For the extra money, you can buy a blue as well. Be sure to invest in safety goggles!!!

Just my 2 cents.

Ugh, I have not had the best experience with AAA pen lasers. I realize that's probably because I bought them from a low-end site (suntekstore), but both lasers drained their batteries ridiculously quickly -- I swear they'd drain just from sitting in the laser unused. And this is on top of them being 1/50 the power advertised. Again, I understand real people are a lot more reliable, the experience just left sort of a bad taste, and I'd be more comfortable with something that has lithium cells.

As for safety goggles, been looking around the forum, and ended up ordering a pair from rayfoss (link). I... know they're not certified, or probably the utmost of quality, but I don't have $70+ to spend on goggles, and from what I've read around here, they're decent for the price, and OD5 is reasonable even for a 1W blue. Plus, I've set a pretty strict set of rules for myself when using lasers, not the least of which is "my lasers, my hands, no exceptions no matter how much someone asks."

EDIT:
If a bunch of people show up and advocate that my experience is far from the norm, I'll consider the link you posted, but otherwise, I'd really like something... sturdier.

Last edited:
I can recommend O-Like. They deliver what is stated ie. 50mW actually being 50mW. They have excellent customer support and ships fast (At least to Denmark). I have bought from them many times and my packages always show up pretty fast with what was actually ordered. If you have any questions you can talk to Susy from O-Like right here on LPF, you can search for her, she has a lot of posts.

Buying from chinese wholesellers is something I must advice you not to do! They almost never live up to specs and as you have seen for yourself it can take a long time to get what you ordered.

So all in all you should buy from a member where power/specs etc has been verified, or buy from a good quality company like O-like.

Best regards.

Nicki

Alright, I think I'll probably go with the O-like... already have a rechargeable 18650, so the battery quality mentioned shouldn't be a problem, and I feel like it's worth it for the included case.

Thanks for the advice, everyone who advised!

Encap

The o-like 50mw 532 with battery, battery charger, and holster---is a good deal--all of it including the battery is up to the task of the 50mw, 532nm.

Good luck with it m8, I am sure you will be pleased with it :)
Indeed. I'll post back here when it arrives and I've had a chance to try it out, in case anyone else ends up with similar questions on o-like.

The o-like 50mw 532 with battery, battery charger, and holster---is a good deal--all of it including the battery is up to the task of the 50mw, 532nm.
Yeah, that's the one I'm going for. Guess I should probably have included a link up top, come to think of it... I'll do that now.

Edit:
Hmmm... Wonder if the diffraction caps from the terrible old laser I mentioned would fit this... Anyone happen to know whether those tend to be standard size? (will post link to old laser tomorrow, bed now)

Last edited:
If you receive your laser and the caps you have dont fit then you can buy a set of 5 caps from o-like for 6.99USD.

EDIT: They seem to sell those caps for most of their lasers so it should be standard sizes.

5 patterns diffraction cap /for red,green.blue laser [OL-D-5] - $6.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Yeah, those are the ones I was considering if the ones I have don't fit, I'd just rather not pay separate shipping ^^;

Anyways, this is the laser I have now. (here's a direct link to an image showing an example of the heads provided)

They look pretty similar, so I'm leaning towards thinking they might work, but I figure that (suntekstore link) looks like a pretty generic laser, so chances are someone here might have experience with fittings and know for sure from seeing it.

Last edited:

Stix62

I got a power rock 200 from O-like the other day. I also have a set of diffraction caps that look exactly the same as those you just linked to. They came with a pen style pointer too.
Yes, they do fit ;-)
They also fit in my o-like crown upgrade 500 and Lazerer Rifle.
My Lazerer Rifle lens heads also fit the crown upgrade, and would probably fit the power rock if it wasn't for the 'crown' style design.

It could well be a standard size.

I got a power rock 200 from O-like the other day. I also have a set of diffraction caps that look exactly the same as those you just linked to. They came with a pen style pointer too.
Yes, they do fit ;-)
They also fit in my o-like crown upgrade 500 and Lazerer Rifle.
My Lazerer Rifle lens heads also fit the crown upgrade, and would probably fit the power rock if it wasn't for the 'crown' style design.

It could well be a standard size.

Awesome. Well, in that case I think I'll just order the laser, and check for fit when it arrives. I can always order o-like caps some other time if I buy something else from the site, after all.

EDIT:
So... I guess O-like is having some sort of issue with paypal.
"We cannot process this transaction because there is a problem with the PayPal email address supplied by the seller. Please contact the seller to resolve the problem. If this payment is for an eBay listing, you can contact the seller via the "Ask Seller a Question" link on the listing page. When you have the correct email address, payment can be made at www.paypal.com."

Anyone know anything about this?

Last edited:
O-like
trusted source for not that expensive stuff. Have been working with them for a quite some time.

Tip: If you are owner of their waterproof models, and you think that output is not up to specs. Remove front glass, and you will get real power reading.

O-like 532nm modules are usually over specs by 10%-20%

I havent had issues with payment before. Try to send them a mail, maybe they are unaware of the problem.

Email sent. Now paypal isn't even showing up as a payment option, so I guess they might have already noticed? Hopefully a fix is on the way.