Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Opinion on 3DS XL

IsaacT

Is the Nintendo 3DS XL a good buy or is it a waste of money? I want to play pokemon but at the same time I am loathe to drop 200 dollars on something frivolous like that. Just wanting to see if any of yall have one and have opinions on it? How often do you play it?

Buyers remorse or boredom recourse?

Thanks,
Isaac

oahu99

I have a 3ds, not the xl. However I have used the xl and the bigger screens are great. I highly recommend the 3ds, lots of Good games, make sure to get a link between worlds it's my favorite game I have. The battery life is a bit short but not to much of a problem really. Just get one you won't regret it!

Last edited:
I don't know why you would play any other game while this one is out right now. I hadn't touched video games in months and almost didn't buy this one, but I did, and my goodness it's a lot of fun.

IsaacT

I suppose I could play Titanfall on my PC but all the people I know who have it got bored FAST

Sounds like your friends have add, it hasn't been out for more then 2 months yet :p

Anyways I can comment on topic, I unexpectedly received a 2DS for Christmas. I replayed through Ocarina of Time and have enjoyed art academy. My two cents though is to stay away from games like pokemon. They're life draining time sucks unless your going to be using action replay or something.

IsaacT

It is a video game, what game is not a time sink? I am just nostalgic for Pokemon lol. Games I want to play: some Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. And Fire Emblem Awakening. And Bravely Default.

True, video games are a decent way to relax for an hour or so. I like games that are easy to pickup and put down. The depth of pokemon's competitive battling strategy is very addictive, personally I have to stay away from it :)

IsaacT

Well I bought one for 169.99 :D

Walmart.com offers an "ultimate bundle" that comes with the system and a DS game. I hate waiting, so after I kindly asked a Walmart store manager at 1am if he would facilitate the deal in the store and he responded like a true jackass would, I bode my time until this morning when Best Buy opened up. I asked very kindly what they would be willing to do, and told them I didn't care the least bit about the game, I just wanted to get the system for the walmart.com price. They let me get the system only for the price and then I also picked up Pokemon X so I would have a game.

Saved 30 bucks and am EXTREMELY pleased. I work at that Best Buy. Trust me, they would be more willing to do this for a nonemployee customer.

Anyway, thanks for the opinions guys!

Walmart.com deal: HERE CLICK ME :)

Last edited:
You should take it back, and buy a 2DS. The 3D takes a wear on your head over time and you will eventually be like "Why would anyone play continuously in this 3D mode?" The joint will wear down eventually and is a point where wires will come out eventually no matter how well you take care of your electronics (just from the way it is built).

oahu99

You should take it back, and buy a 2DS. The 3D takes a wear on your head over time and you will eventually be like "Why would anyone play continuously in this 3D mode?" The joint will wear down eventually and is a point where wires will come out eventually no matter how well you take care of your electronics (just from the way it is built).

You do know you can turn off the 3d right?
Plus the 3ds folds up to fit in a pocket.

You do know you can turn off the 3d right?
Plus the 3ds folds up to fit in a pocket.

Yes, I know you can turn off the 3D. The 2ds easily fits in ones pocket. The reason for my first post is that you are paying for a glasses-less 3D feature that you will stop using. Why do you think Nintendo made the 2ds to begin with?

Just saying man. OP could save himself some money.

Last edited:

IsaacT

I looked at the 2DS and understand the point of it. However, I am a big fan of products that look good, not just play well. The 3DS XL looks good, plays well, and the 3D feature isn't why I bought it.

I looked at the 2DS and understand the point of it. However, I am a big fan of products that look good, not just play well. The 3DS XL looks good, plays well, and the 3D feature isn't why I bought it.

Look and fold would be the only reason to buy it really.

They both "play" the exact same. I thought pretty much the same when I was looking to purchase a 3ds about a month ago. Ended up getting a brand new 2ds for $80.

To each his own. Just my opinion. In no way am I saying the purchase is bad, the 3ds/2ds are both awesome alike (I wanted to type O-like right there for some non funny reason, lol).

BTW, wannaburn, are you selling that 200mw as a host only or fully functional? How much if fully functional.

Last edited:

IsaacT

It is absolutely fully functional and performs amazingly. I am asking 235 now. Used to be 275 but I need the money quicker so I priced it to sell. Very nearly cost of components.

The 2ds easily fits in ones pocket. The reason for my first post is that you are paying for a glasses-less 3D feature that you will stop using. Why do you think Nintendo made the 2ds to begin with?.

The 2DS absolutely does not comfortably fit in a pocket, maybe if your wearing cargos I'd be ok. They made the 2ds because the stereoscopic vision was messing with young kids vision, and no flip is a sturdier design. I will agree though that 3D feature isn't fun, 30 seconds with the store demo was enough for me.

I bought myself a 3DS XL, and Im pretty frugal, and I have no regrets. Its a ton of fun, and yes I never use the 3D, but the clamshell design is much more comfortable than the 2DS and more portable.