Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Opening fibered HHL enclosure

bor

Hi All!

I have red laser module in HHL package, power is about 1-1.5 W, module have fiber optic output bundle with 7 single fibers. TEC inside package is broken. While laser diode itself feels good.
I would like to try to open the enclosure to replace TEC. Is it possible?

I have the following equipment: ESD safe soldering station with a soldering iron and a blower, a microscope. Also have access to laminar flow cabinet.

Main question: can I replace TEC in fibered HHL enclosure without breaking the alignment of optical fibers inside module?
:thinking:

Main question: can I replace TEC in fibered HHL enclosure without breaking the alignment of optical fibers inside module?
:thinking:

Often a laser chip sits on a TEC, thus you'll need to move a chip and the alignment will be ruined.

There might be a possibility that the optical setup sits on the plate and the plate is mounted on the TEC.

Keep in mind that wiring inside is done with very thin wires and most likely it will be impossible to do any hand soldering.

If you think that the module is busted anyway, open the cover and see how is everything arranged inside. You could share that with us too :whistle:

Those are tiny. The die might be directly bonded to the fiber, which would preserve alignment if shifted, but would snap the fiber if moved much. How have you determined the laser is good and the TEC is bad?