Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

open can or closed can?

Whats the difference between these two ld's? Do they both fit in the Aixiz housing?

Open cans have the lasers innards exposed while the closed can has them covered with a metal housing with a transparent lens in it. They are getting closer in power handling abilities and light output. You just need to weigh the options, driver, power source, desired result and so forth to choose which you would like to use. Catmandoo

yes, voltage is the same but it depends on the current applied. Generally, more current means more voltage, but not more than 0.5v

If I use a lavadriver, what preset current in mA do I want to use with a 22x LG open case red diode?

Things

Open cans usually can handle slightly more power than closed cans, due to better cooling. Long die open cans can, according to lava's graph, handle about 500ma before they die. Pass that into a closed can, and ts dead straight away.

diachi

Yeah 420mA should give you around 300mW from a 22X open can :)

You'll NEED a good heatsink for it though ;)

-Adam

Things

Diachi said:
Yeah 420mA should give you around 300mW from a 22X open can  :)

You'll NEED a good heatsink for it though  ;)

-Adam
Ive got a open can from Mike, he says its one of the long die sorts. I'm kinda scared to run it over 380ma though :-/

so are laser diodes similiar to CPUs in that you could pretty much push the current indefinitely, with adequete cooling?

daguin

thebucketmouse said:
so are laser diodes similiar to CPUs in that you could pretty much push the current indefinitely, with adequete cooling?

No. Eventually the photons beating against the crystal "mirrors" will degrade the surface until the cavity breaks down.

Peace,
dave

BeavRat said:
How many mA should I run a closed can 16x at?

No more than 300mA. That should give you 200mW. But this is the MAX. A safe current would be 250mA.

iknitsteel said:
so what would be the safe mA for a 20x closed can LD

The same I bet. Open cans can typically be pushed harder. The 16x 20x and 22x does not directly affect the power of the diode. But typically if its a 20x and above it will have a open can, but not always. Ask in forum of what diode to expect from a certain DVD burner before you tare into it. ;)

A good open can diode can be found in this.
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BLK-GH22NP20-BULK&cpc=SCH

Welcome to LPF :D