Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Open can diode.

How can I press a diode into an aixis module without a vice? BTW thanks to the person who rep'ed me :)

Thanks.

Very Carefully.

But seriously, I don't have a place for a vice or anything of that sort in my small apartment, so here's what I do. First, I have two sets of needle-nose pliers. But not just any needle-nose pliers: these both have round holes in them, on the side, like this set: http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thu.../2/istockphoto_1743785_needle_nose_pliers.jpg

It just happens I have 2 pliers on which the hole is just perfectly sized to hold an Aixiz housing in that little hole when the handles are squeezed together. In fact, one set gets jammed shut on the housing and won't open again without the same considerable force it took to jam them, which keeps the Aixiz from falling out. They are perfectly sized, so they also don't mar the finish on the housing.

So, I lay a pair of pliers on a flat, hard surface with the hole facing up, put the front of the the Aixiz housing in the hole, and 'lock' it onto the housing. I then place the diode in the hole, and use the other set of pliers, again utilizing the hole in the side of the pliers as a means to hold the back of the Aixiz housing. Using the "back" of the Aixiz housing, I apply a constant, even force downward on the diode, which is fairly easy to do with the pliers being closed all the way and providing a wide, flat area on which is press from above. So basically, the two pliers act as a vertical press, and the holes in the sides of the pliers keep the Aixiz housing properly aligned and positioned with much less risk of slipping off or breaking something.

This hasn't failed me yet, just make sure the diode is straight, and you press evenly and SLOWLY, and use larger things to be able to apply this even pressure.

freshert said:
How can I press a diode into an aixis module without a vice? BTW thanks to the person who rep'ed me :)

Thanks.

If you are using an Aixiz module, just press the diode in with the oposite end of the Aixiz module - the end with the little hole in it using an adjustable open jaw wrench.

I've pressed 3 blu-ray diodes and one 20x open can using this method. Just be real carefull and align everything up perfectly and press away :) It takes me about 2-4 minutes to perfectly align everything before I feel comfortable in pressing the diode in place.

roSSco

freshert said:

Thanks.

I have used a C-clamp with great results. ;)

Thanks for sharing these methods with me :) I've looked at a vice on dicksmith and it only costs 16 bucks. I think I'll buy that to make my lasers :)

artix

How would I put a Senkat diode in a Meredith collimator properly?

Zom-B

Find a flat metal plate with a hole just large enough so the legs of the diode fit in the hole, but not the 5.6mm base. (ideal hole size 1/8" or 3mm)

Place the plate on your desk with the laser in the hole and the aixiz on top, then apply pressure (with a hammer or something). The plate should be thick enough so the legs don't stick out on the other side (or make the legs shorter if you dare)

Oh dang....Look up Harbor Freight - they have cheap vises if you cannot find one at a flea market or something - it is SOOOO much easier - I install a diode in under 3 seconds - with no errors. Granted a do a TON of them - but still...a vise makes it so much easier on the diode, and on YOU ! No stress :p

Well, actually I removed several open cans using wire cutters back in February. They came out without a problem. You do need to have a strong hand thought.
I cut through an Aluminum heat sink as my cans were epoxied to it.
I got these from a surplus Pioneer 20x DVD writer.
Cutting from the edges freed the open cans quite well. \o/ like so.

My problem was that I lacked the time to make a working laser driver. :( :(
I moved here to Seoul Korea to work with the Korean Government (EPIK/ETIS) with SMOE in the end of February. ;)