Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Open can 803T ?

I've got a question that I've not seen addressed here on the forum yet (unless I missed it) :-? If you take an 803T Diode & open up the can, would it be possible to make a blu-ray laser that puts out more mW's than the current 'closed can blu-rays do ?

B

Burningbeams

As I recall, there is only a minimal gain from doing this.. considering the risk involved(killing the diode), I am not sure I'd bother- my 2 cents.

Check Igort's "batch testing" thread- he describes some 803t's running windowless, albeit the windows in them may have been broken.

Now if you have a "can opener" like Gooeygus.. that's a different story.

Yes it will, but the diode lifetime will drop because the Gallium nitride will corrode in humid air.

phenol

The diode window's internal transmittance loss is very low. The BK7 glass has internal transmittance of 0.997 at 405nm for thickness of 10mm (SCHOTT). The cover window is 0.25mm thick.

I really say the only reason one should do it is to save an already damaged diode. If the window is broken out (especially with these weak windows in the PHR diodes) it's a great option if you have the right tools. Also, if you just feel like experimenting and you're not too worried about a shorter life it's ok. But, the gains are minimal and the diode is much better suited to have the can on for long-term life.

Sorry for slight necro, it's just barely off the top page and I can restart this one instead of starting a new thread.

Gooey, how do you recommend open-canning an 803T? Broke the window in mine, such that it;s mostly in place, but it moves around when I flip the laser back and forth. If the open-canning seems easy enough, I'd rather do that than risk the window coming out an ruining the diode. Slow and easy Dremel while the can is held very securely by some helping hands?

And my other problem is that it's already in an Aixiz, but it went in the Aixiz REALLY easy, took very little force to press in, so I think I could get it back out safely. Any suggestions? Or should I just cross my fingers and hope the diode never fails because of the stupid window?

pullbangdead said:
Sorry for slight necro, it's just barely off the top page and I can restart this one instead of starting a new thread.

Gooey, how do you recommend open-canning an 803T?  Broke the window in mine, such that it;s mostly in place, but it moves around when I flip the laser back and forth.  If the open-canning seems easy enough, I'd rather do that than risk the window coming out an ruining the diode.  Slow and easy Dremel while the can is held very securely by some helping hands?  

And my other problem is that it's already in an Aixiz, but it went in the Aixiz REALLY easy, took very little force to press in, so I think I could get it back out safely.  Any suggestions?  Or should I just cross my fingers and hope the diode never fails because of the stupid window?  

If you're already planning on taking the can off, the can itself it plenty strong enough to push on to get the diode out, though a tool that fits around the can and presses on the backing is ideal. As far as taking the can off, a dremel will work well if you're very very patient and have a steady hand. I bought the 'can remover' tool from thorlabs so I'm a bit spoiled when it comes to taking cans off. Takes me about 30 seconds and I've never had one break. If you're not in a hurry to get the diode running you can send it to me and I'll take the can off for free.  :cool: