Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

one problem with driving a 6x burner bluray.

C

carulli

I was reading daguin's post on blurays and it says that if i run a bluray at a higher current(>180mA) then I would need a higher voltage. I am planing on running a 6x diode at 188ma and I am using a rkstr driver so it consumes 1.5v, this leaves this leaves 5.7v to drive the diode (if i use 2x 3.6v rechargeable cr2s). Is this enough to run a 6x burner bluray diode?

daguin

I thought that the Rkcstr driver needed 2.2V. Unless he changed them recently, you will need a minimum of 7.2V at lower currents. You should probably have 8.2 available at higher currents.

Peace,
dave

C

carulli

ohh well maybe it does use 2.2v, anyway are those voltages the voltages the diode will need or the driver?

The rckstr needs 2.25V according to the manual pdf. The 7.2V/8.2V numbers Dave mentioned are the total voltage you need to supply the circuit with (V-rckstr + V-diode = 2.25V + (5V low mA or 6V high Ma) = 7.25V/8.25V

I just went with a 9V host to not have to worry. Right now there is only a PHR in it, but I will put a 6X whence round 3 of amk's GB arrives.

Here it is:

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1225255032

C

carulli

thanks dave and chopper, I have screwed 2 barrels from an mxdl together so it will house 3 cr2s and a aluminum spacer. now to voltage sould be enough. the laser host looks like a police batton lol ;D.

IgorT

Three 3V CR2's will be good for Rkcstr's driver. But it will only stay in regulation for a part of the battery capacity.

You could use three 3.6V Li-Ions, but when full, their combined voltage is 3x 4.2V = 12.6V. The polarity protection MOSFET is rated for 12V max, so it might be a good idea to put an Si diode in series with the driver input. Then it could work safelly off three Li-Ions. And it would stay in regulation over their entire capacity.

If you only use two Li-Ions, their voltage when full is 8.2V, Rkcstr's driver needs at least 2.25V more than the load. If the load needs 6V, that means 8.25V is the MINIMUM voltage. 7.2V would be the minimum for a diode, that never needs more than 5V (a PS3 of a GGW 6x).

Batteries should be selected in a way, that they have more than enough (but not too much) when full, and still enough, when empty. Only this way will the current stay the same over the entire battery capacity, and your power will start at the same level every time you turn the laser on. That's the idea behind drivers.

If you use two Li-Ions for a 4x at a high current, the current will start dropping almost the moment you turn the laser on, and it behaves just like using a battery and a resistor instead of a driver. With a PHR at a medium current it would remain in regulation a little bit, but as soon as the voltage drops a little under load, the current will start droppping too.

As Igor said, 3x 3v would probably be best. I had a 6x diode from the GGW drive at 190mA powered by the rkcstr driver with only two 3.6V CR123A's and it worked, but it was only in regulation for about 10-15 minutes of use and then the power would start dropping out as the batteries struggled to supply the voltage.

C

carulli

the diode I was planning on using was one of amks group buy GBW. it their a 9v batery that will fit in an mxdl? what do you think I should use when using a rckstr driver or shoud I invest in a flex drive?

a 9v battery would work, but not for very long. 9v batteries are basically made up of a bunch of smaller batteries on the inside, so they make it to the 9v mark but they really dont have much capacity. They are designed for things that use ~50mA for a long period of time.

C

carulli

I just payed for a flexdrive removing the need for the 3rd battery. thanks guys