Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Omnichrome Series 74 HeCd

Omnichrome Series 74 HeCd

I have been looking about and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.
I would like to see if anyone here might have a line on a controller/PSU for one of these. From reading on Sam's FAQ the controller/PSU has to match the head because of the heating elements for the Cadmium.
This is for sure a tall order, but any help on sourcing is appreciated.

Hi,
I have one of these and I'm pretty sure it's the same series.
Can you explain what you're actually after and I might be able to help. Not sure what you mean by 'a line'.
Cheers.

Hey Timelablasers...thanks for the reply..."a line" I mean where to find one that will work with the head.
I have found a supplier for the head but it doesn't include the controller. It is made in 1994 and looks like it got a re-work in 2001.
Some pics...looks nice! Would love to see this in action.

08102010df00012.jpg
[/IMG]

08102010df00010.jpg
[/IMG]

08102010df00009.jpg
[/IMG]

08102010df00007.jpg
[/IMG]

08102010df00004.jpg
[/IMG]

Ah, you need the PSU.
Hmmmm, not so easy to find as these lasers aren't very common. My laser head is very similar to yours apart from a few minor differences.
Have you hunted around on ebay? I think I saw a PSU on there not so long ago. It's not going to be cheap though.
I did see the listing of the heads that are being flogged off on ebay like yours. Cheap they are but without the PSU, quite useless.
I'll let you know if I come across anything.
Cheers.

Yeah they are useless without the PSU. There are some PSU on ebay that I have seen, but from what I have read on Sam's they are specialized because of the temperatures needed to run the laser. More complicated than my knowledge, but I'd hope I would get lucky:whistle:
If you might have some other "terms" for searching these thing out aside from PSU that would help. Again from what I understand, the PSU can not just match the power needs of the head but be somewhat more complicated to keep everything in balance, as well as some sort of cool down that allows the Cadmium to re-group in the reservoir.

Just a PS...this was all inspired from your Signature. Saw that HeCd and just had to see another gas laser!

The 160 is for an argon laser. And I think the HeCd power supplies are more complicated.

The 160 is for an argon laser. And I think the HeCd power supplies are more complicated.

Much more complicated!
Here's a photo of my HeCd PSU.
hwjwvt.jpg

And the inside...
o7n6o4.jpg

The process of igniting and running a HeCd tube is very complex and while I don't claim to be anywhere near an expert in these types of lasers, I know these are much more involved than argon lasers.
You need to be looking for a PSU that is specifically for a HeCd, otherwise you will end up with another white elephant.

That and the cables tend to arc over on the HV connector near end of tube life as well. I really don't know why they just didn't use a 3 prong Alden type plug...

diachi

I had one of these in the past. Sam Goldwasser has the full manual, from that you will be able to identify the rated output power and wavelength. It also contains drawings of the tube structure and power supply schematics, and some other information including dimensions. I'd send you the manual, but A) I no longer have it and B) I couldn't share it when I did have it anyway.

The tube is sealed, so if it's UV you cannot change the optics - but they are nice lasers, even when you do get a UV model.

Do NOT mess with the pots on the side of the head either, one is V. ADJ. and the other is Helium pressure. V. ADJ. is used to adjust the cadmium pressure ( The Cd pressure changes, in turn changing the tube volts. ).

Power supply is an Omnichrome model 100, I think you'll need an Omnichrome 100B, I'll check that though. They are not easy to come by, I was lucky enough to find a head with PSU ( and get a GREAT deal on it too ).

Post a message on Photonlexicon.com in the hologeekery section, you might find some help there.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

diachi

Much more complicated!
Here's a photo of my HeCd PSU.
hwjwvt.jpg

And the inside...
o7n6o4.jpg

The process of igniting and running a HeCd tube is very complex and while I don't claim to be anywhere near an expert in these types of lasers, I know these are much more involved than argon lasers.
You need to be looking for a PSU that is specifically for a HeCd, otherwise you will end up with another white elephant.

That one won't work. The connectors are different, and the PSU for the 74 series heads has a cathode transformer bolted onto the top ( Which I'm not going to rant about again ). Model 100B I'm sure it is.

Edit : The Omnichrome 160 is a switching PSU For the Model 532 Ar/Kr or Ar heads ( not sure if they make a Kr only head ).

Last edited:
Have you asked Sam? He has tons of laser equipment, more stuff than is listed on his classified page. If you want something you don't see, ask. If the price is too high, make him an offer. Good guy to deal with.