Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

OMG!! 100W DIY blue-Violet around the corner???

hmm at that frequency it'd probably appear like CW. dont see you putting it in a handheld anyway :crackup: lab build maybe. but so bright you'd need goggles constantly, a 1W handheld would be better for casual use i'd say.

Trevor

hmm at that frequency it'd probably appear like CW. dont see you putting it in a handheld anyway :crackup: lab build maybe. but so bright you'd need goggles constantly, a 1W handheld would be better for casual use i'd say.

Here's what pullbangdead had to say:

3e-12 s pulse width, 1e9 Hz. That means .3% duty cycle at 100W peak, which gives a time-average power of 300mW. I believe it'd be easier for your laser pointer/tape burner to just use a 12x diode in CW mode if you're after tape-burning or visible beams.

Very cool science to be running these diodes mode-locked and such like they are, but really not too applicable to laser pointers at this time. It is awesome, but not in any "I can see the beam" or "it burns stuff" sort of way.

...so, it's 100W for very short period, but over time it outputs around 300mW.

-Trevor

ah ok. but i'd imagine there'd be differences to just running at 300mW CW?

The folks over at PL calculated that it would be even less than the equivalent of 1mw CW. But hey, the gains from this solid state amplifier is HUGE!

The folks over at PL calculated that it would be even less than the equivalent of 1mw CW. But hey, the gains from this solid state amplifier is HUGE!

A good point they make, as well. The 300mW I said then would be if the output was a perfect square wave, instant on and instant off. But of course that isn't possible, so the power will be quite a bit lower still, as they say.

Never thought i'd hear that when i first came to this forum...