Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ok, Noob question about batteries for my lasers..

Ok, I have a rather noobish question, and I'm sorry if this might be jovial to some of you.

When using a 75mw green laser pen I bought from ebay, is there any difference if I use regular alkaline AAA's vs using Lithium AAA's?

Also, this is another noob question..
Why is it that my most powerful laser will shine bright for a moment, then dim, then if I snap on and off about 10 times, the laser shines perfectly bright for awhile, until I shut it off. If it's off for more than 5 minutes, it does it again. Is there a warmup time with green lasers?

also, could someone please clarify what a duty cycle is supposed to mean?

Lithiums have less internal resistance and therefore hold their voltage higher for longer under heavy load when compared with alkalines. You will get more power with lithiums because the chinese pointers have a linear driver that drops out of regulation rather soon.

"Duty cycle is defined as the ratio between the pulse duration (τ) and the period (Τ) of a rectangular waveform" - The percent of time it can be on at a time without sustaining damage, in this context.