Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ok, I bought one, now I wana do sum'in with it!

I bought a broken Xbox 360 HD DVD drive off of ebay. I'm waiting for it to come in, and assuming that the diode works, I wanna make a laser out of it. I'm trying to find a host for it, and it looks like one of those Dorcey flashlights might do the trick, though I don't know what I wanna use for batteries, since it looks like I'm going to want about 9v for it. And do you think a simple resistor will do it? I have to find to right Dorcey model for this and stuff. (I'm still in the planning stage) Any suggestions for what to use and links would be nice. I'm going to use this thread as my project moves along and I'll keep it updated with photos and stuff.

Thanks.

Re: Ok, I bought one, now I wand do sum'in with it

um..gee that helps a load. i was looking more for personal advice from experience, not an online reference.

no 9v will work with a DDL circuit only a Bluray need about 5v Using a dorcy Jr it uses a boost circuit which make 5v

yea you have to take time and read read read read read >>>>>>>>>>>>>
then take some more time and read some more this place rocks so much info
its crazy plus many resources for diy parts & diodes Senkat, Kenom,Dr-Lava-Rkcstr the man

Honestly. I've read quite a bit. I've also seen a lot of varying parts used from project to project, so I thought it would be best to hear personal opinions.

Oh and a quick other thing. As for the resistor, what I'm asking is: how essential do you think a driver is? Is it just a super sure safety precaution, or will the resistor most likely be good enough to protect the diode from voltage spikes?

Scog

A proper driver is vital for a bluray build. For red you can usually get away with a cap and resistor.
Blurays are alot more sensitive to spikes and static.