Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

oclaro 700 638nm first build advise.

okay so I ordered the host, heatsink, driver pill and current of about 1amp.
ill be ordering the oclaro700 soon from DTR. I just wanted to see if anyone had any tips for me? this is my absolute first build and just a tad worried I might make a costly error, tips from some LPF veterans would be much appreciated as well. thanks everyone :)

okay so I ordered the host, heatsink, driver pill and current of about 1amp.
ill be ordering the oclaro700 soon from DTR. I just wanted to see if anyone had any tips for me? this is my absolute first build and just a tad worried I might make a costly error, tips from some LPF veterans would be much appreciated as well. thanks everyone :)

I seriously just made a build using this same diode last night :D

The divergence on this diode is pretty bad so don't be expecting a nice dot at more than about 10 yards:crackup:

If you are already good at soldering and such then I don't think you will have many problems, just be sure to get a driver/contact board combo because you will have a hard time fitting them in the C6 host separately. I had this problem and ended up making my own scrapyard host out of some copper tubing and extra LED hosts so I would have room. Also, Heat shrink tubing is always nice to use.

Im running a mitsubishi lpc 826 at 550ma, it's rated for 340 a cw, it's a good burner with a g7 lens. The beam is visible in a dim room. It focuses to a tiny dot. I have since ordered a Mitsubishi 500 because I like the 826 so much.

Last edited:
hi richie,
You might be better off getting the Mitsu 500 they are more forgiving than the 700 and you can push them harder and get more out of them in Mw's. both the 700 and the 500 you can run them on one or two lith ion cells. You can get about 800 to 1W from the 500 if its set to the correct current..

Rich:)

Last edited:
hi richie,
You might be better off getting the Mitsu 500 they are more forgiving than the 700 and you can push them harder and get more out of them in Mw's. both the 700 and the 500 you can run them on one or two lith ion cells. You can get about 800 to 1W from the 500 if its set to the correct current..

^ This. I burnt two Oclrao diodes trying to get a watt out of them, but the Mits 500mW works fine.

Paul,
You know it the 700's can be finicky and fussy about the current they receive . the 500's are more hardy diode but they are open can so be care full in the build. just make it a clean build and you will be satisfied .. practice ESD it helps a lot ...

I've made many "open can" lasers over the years. My bench has an ESD matt, wrist strap and all my solder stations are earth grounded. Besides my education I have spent over 40 years in electronics. I appreciate the recommendations, but assure you they are unnecessary.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a survival laser host, if so, which one?
Danny

I just got the C6. It's much smaller in person than I should it would have been. Heat sink is small too. I'm wondering if I should have gotten the copper.

I seriously just made a build using this same diode last night :D

The divergence on this diode is pretty bad so don't be expecting a nice dot at more than about 10 yards:crackup:

If you are already good at soldering and such then I don't think you will have many problems, just be sure to get a driver/contact board combo because you will have a hard time fitting them in the C6 host separately. I had this problem and ended up making my own scrapyard host out of some copper tubing and extra LED hosts so I would have room. Also, Heat shrink tubing is always nice to use.

Oh yeah I heard the oclaro has horrible divergence. Lol yeah I got the combo on survival. I have only soldered once my whole life :( so I may try practicing on sold old stuff quite a bit before I attemp this build. I saw the note stapled on the driver bag stating to use sparingly and not to get solder on driver or it could render it useless, definitely don't wanna screw this up.

Im running a mitsubishi lpc 826 at 550ma, it's rated for 340 a cw, it's a good burner with a g7 lens. The beam is visible in a dim room. It focuses to a tiny dot. I have since ordered a Mitsubishi 500 because I like the 826 so much.

Oh dang you know something, I was actually thinking I should have gotten the mits 500 instead but opted for the oclaro. Maybe when I finish this one I'll try the mits. Should I get the G2 instead of 3 element?

Hi Richie,
You'll be ok, just don't let it overheat. All the survival laser hosts I've used were tight
Danny

Last edited:
hi richie,

Whoa really!? I already got the driver set to 1 amp. I wonder if I should just save the driver for a 445 or 450 build later and buy another driver and get the mitsu 500? May actually do that, thanks for the recommendation :)

Hi Richie,
You may be able to run the mitt 5oo at 1a, seems I've read threads where they were
Dsnny

Last edited:
Paul,
You know it the 700's can be finicky and fussy about the current they receive . the 500's are more hardy diode but they are open can so be care full in the build. just make it a clean build and you will be satisfied .. practice ESD it helps a lot ...

Okay so nevermind I just saw the date sheet for the mitsu 500. I guess I can use an amp. Awesome!!