Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

O-Like Power Rock Green Torch

Hi, I am new to Laserpointerforums, a great learning tool. I bought a 100mw Power Rock Torch from O-Like and love it. Its waterproof so it has two o-rings on each end, both ends are smooth to turn, focusing is easy. The laser is very solid and well made with a rubber covered button. My only problem with O-Like is that they don’t give enough technical information about their products. I like lasers and wanted to know what type of internal workings it had. Through several emails with Susie, I found that it had an 808nm diode but no IR filter. At this point I was not able to get the laser module out. I needed to know if it had an IR problem, so I did the test shown in “NIST Technical Note 1668, A Green Laser Pointer Hazard”. The test was simple but I saw no IR. I thought DPSS lasers had IR problems. I finally got the module out and was very happy to see the MCA (Multiple Crystal Assembly). The laser module looked well made, thanks O-Like. I did the remote control trick to check for IR filters in the optics and found none. Then I took 4 pieces of exposed 35mm film (the end that’s really dark). They will not pass 532nm green but will pass IR (test it with your TV remote). Using an IR non-filtered digital camera, I was able to see the IR. It was surprisingly low, that could be why I did not see it in my first test.
My last test was for power levels using the HLPM ll Hobbyist Laser Power Meter from Bauer-ee.com. Great for under 200mw.
The laser measures between 95mw and 110mw at 532nm and the IR was < .5mw. And yes I used safety glasses I got from Survivallaserusa.com (Eagle Pair). The bottom line is that Susie at O-like was very helpful and I would buy from them again. From what I’ve read I should have had higher levels of IR. Could high IR be attributed to leakage problems from poor assembly? I also bought a couple of green Panasonic 3400mAh 18650 Li-ion Battery Cell NCR18650B batteries from orbtonic.com. They are in Florida so they came quickly. You have to buy two at $12.99 each. These last a long time compared to the ones from O-Like (blue Li-18650 JYD BO12I). I like the host a lot and would like to try different modules in it. Happy lasering!

Attachments

• powerrock.jpg
    powerrock.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Nice review. Pictures are great to add as well. Also if you don't mind waiting you can get those cells from fasttect.com 2 for $17 and free shipping which is a steal.

no problem. there shipping is much better then DX and I've quite a few panasonic cells from fasttech and they aren't knock offs.