Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

O-like blu-ray 400mW 405nm Laser

Maros

Hey guys, first post so be patient :) I'm fairly new to lasers and have always entertained the idea of them. I've been looking at wicked lasers for quite a while then stumbled across this forum doing a bit of research, obviously i've ruled out using wicked lasers lol. O-like has this 400mW blu-ray laser. I was wondering what kind of input you all had for this being my first laser. My priority is power / burning power, and beam distance after that. I read quite a bit on the green laser forums, 400mW should be more than capable of burning, I'm not sure if Blu-ray / violet lasers are the same? any help, suggestions, or input would be greatly appreciated!

Kevlar

400mW of blu-ray will burn better than 400mW of green due to the shorter wavelength. So if burning is what you're after then this is a good choice.

Maros

Also, what kind of beam visibility will I be looking at with a 400mW blu-ray? I know 400mW greens were extremely visible, will a blu-ray be any less / more than that?

**Edit**

Another question, This laser is listed as a "laser torch", what is the idea behind it being listed as a "torch" ?

anselm

Beam of 400mw will be visible but MUCH less than the same power of green.
"Torch" refers to the style of the unit, as opposed to "pointer".

Hey guys, first post so be patient :) I'm fairly new to lasers and have always entertained the idea of them. I've been looking at wicked lasers for quite a while then stumbled across this forum doing a bit of research, obviously i've ruled out using wicked lasers lol. O-like has this 400mW blu-ray laser. I was wondering what kind of input you all had for this being my first laser. My priority is power / burning power, and beam distance after that. I read quite a bit on the green laser forums, 400mW should be more than capable of burning, I'm not sure if Blu-ray / violet lasers are the same? any help, suggestions, or input would be greatly appreciated!

I have just bought this laser and will do a review on it when it arrives. O-like told me mine outputs no less than 360mW. In my signature I have a review of their 250mW (now 300mW) cute red laser if you want to compare the beams once I have the blu-ray laser review posted. Blu-ray and violet lasers are both 405nm. Violet lasers are the color of blu-ray lasers. Blu-ray just means that the diode was originally inside a blu-ray disk burner. Your eyes can't focus on the 405nm dot and the dot is less visible than a red dot. BUT, the beam will be brighter than the beam of a red. Also, no other color laser will be as bright as a green (532nm) laser of the same output.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/o-like-400mw-405nm-59101.html#post838901
That link will have the brightness and some other info.
Also red lasers travel furthest (of the visible spectrum) in the atmosphere. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the higher the nm, the further it goes; due to Rayleigh Scattering. So the 405nm (violet/Blu-Ray) laser beam won't go as far as most other lasers.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hey guys, first post so be patient I'm fairly new to lasers and have always entertained the idea of them. I've been looking at wicked lasers for quite a while then stumbled across this forum doing a bit of research, obviously i've ruled out using wicked lasers lol. O-like has this 400mW blu-ray laser. I was wondering what kind of input you all had for this being my first laser. My priority is power / burning power, and beam distance after that. I read quite a bit on the green laser forums, 400mW should be more than capable of burning, I'm not sure if Blu-ray / violet lasers are the same? any help, suggestions, or input would be greatly appreciated
I ordered one yesterday, along with their 1 watt 445 driver for a build. Have ordered from o-like before, no problems, they might be out now, though (Nope, just checked, they have 7 more as of 4:14 est, 12/30/10.) Remember, this is UV, like as in Black Light, so, just at the edge of the visable light spectrum for us humans. Birds and some reptiles can see well in UV, but we don't. Remember UV can damage eyes very quickly, so use caution, and remember it is a LASER!

Last edited:
I ordered one yesterday, along with their 1 watt 445 driver for a build. Have ordered from o-like before, no problems, they might be out now, though (Nope, just checked, they have 7 more as of 4:14 est, 12/30/10.) Remember, this is UV, like as in Black Light, so, just at the edge of the visable light spectrum for us humans. Birds and some reptiles can see well in UV, but we don't. Remember UV can damage eyes very quickly, so use caution, and remember it is a LASER!

Thanks for noting that (I seemed to have forgotten to mention safety). Only use ≤5mW lasers for using with pets. NEVER point ANY laser or laser pointer into an animal's eyes (including you or other people). Always wear safety glasses when using Class IIIB (any laser >5mW) lasers or greater (especially when burning, indoors, or in dark areas). O-like has some of the cheapest safety glasses around so order some from them. They have some for red lasers for $20 and some that cover 405nm, 445nm, and 532nm (violet, blue, and green respectively) also for $20.

Maros

Sounds like what I'm looking for so far, Ordered :] as well as a couple pairs of safety glasses! thanks for the help guys, I've been looking at stepping into lasers for quite a while now, I'm excited to finally have done it! Will try my hand in a review once i get it, I'm sure there will be plenty up on the review forums for this piece anyway :)

Last edited:
400mW of blu-ray will burn better than 400mW of green due to the shorter wavelength. So if burning is what you're after then this is a good choice.

If the shorter wavelengths are better for burning, then why are red lasers better for burning than green?

I could be talking out my ass here but i think with red and green it's pretty much raw power. Cheap greens aren't IR filtered so a third or more of the output is likely IR which at low power isn't that good for burning.

I could be talking out my ass here but i think with red and green it's pretty much raw power. Cheap greens aren't IR filtered so a third or more of the output is likely IR which at low power isn't that good for burning.

I don't know if you're right or not, but that sounds like a valid reason. Lol

joeyss

Actually in theory Green should burn better then red if they are of equal power since green lasers have better divergence due to them being DPSS lasers. Better divergence=smaller beams and there are videos of green lasers burning without focusing them due to this fact. When you get down to it it's just so slight and that 200mw of red is much cheaper then 200mw of true properly focused green.

Actually in theory Green should burn better then red if they are of equal power since green lasers have better divergence due to them being DPSS lasers. Better divergence=smaller beams and there are videos of green lasers burning without focusing them due to this fact. When you get down to it it's just so slight and that 200mw of red is much cheaper then 200mw of true properly focused green.

:thanks: for clarifying.

I was just about to open a topic about this laser. I have some questions.
1) How does it perform? O-Like claims 400 mW, has anyone measured its output?
2) I see it's waterproof, and I remember several posts criticizing waterproof lasers because they have an additional lens that reduces their output. Is this one the same? And if it is, can the additional lens be removed and still have it focus and burn properly?
3) Can it be pot modded without it dying like a pot-modded DX laser would?
4) I remember reading about replacing the lenses of a dilda red with glass lenses made for that specific frequency, to increase its output. Can the same be done to this one?

I was just about to open a topic about this laser. I have some questions.
1) How does it perform? O-Like claims 400 mW, has anyone measured its output?
2) I see it's waterproof, and I remember several posts criticizing waterproof lasers because they have an additional lens that reduces their output. Is this one the same? And if it is, can the additional lens be removed and still have it focus and burn properly?
3) Can it be pot modded without it dying like a pot-modded DX laser would?
4) I remember reading about replacing the lenses of a dilda red with glass lenses made for that specific frequency, to increase its output. Can the same be done to this one?

1) I will do a review when mine arrives although I do not have a lpm to test its output. If you decide to buy it, then you can ask Susie how much yours is actually outputting. She told me mine was outputting no less than 360mW.
2) It probably does have an extra lens but my guess is that it outputs what O-like says it does while the waterproof lens is on it. If you want to know for sure, just ask Susie (she is the person who reads all the "contact us" emails and responds to them).
3) Pot-modding any laser will shorten its life. How fast it dies depends on how much you turn the pot and the quality of the diode. Having said that, I do not know if you can pot-mod this laser.
4) If it focuses like their cute style lasers, then you can change the lens. Most likely you can by taking it apart but again, you could ask Susie. I may see if it can be taken apart when I do the review on mine; but I do not want to risk breaking it so if it is difficult to take it apart, then I won't.

Last edited:
david1235102, can't wait to read your review.

I wish someone with a LPM can test one of these :), or post a video...