Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

O-Like 400mW 532nm (Very Overspec)

Arshus

Hey Guys & Gals:

This will be my review of the O-like 400mW 532nm Laser:

First off lets start with some pics of the actual laser itself. This laser did not come in any sort of box, however O-like did send it very safely and snugly wrapped in lots of bubble wrap.

4734-o-like-400mw-532nm-host.jpg
4735-o-like-400mw-532nm-rear-clicky.jpg

I absolutely love the host, simple yet elegant, as well as its beautiful metallic gray color. It has etchings where the diode is most likely pressed, these act as a heat dissipator. The rear clicky is comfortable to use, and its bright orange color nicely matches the color of the host. The laser is waterproof, and adjustable.

4736-o-like-400mw-532nm-threading.jpg
4737-o-like-400mw-532nm-tail-cap.jpg

The threading on the tailcap and on the host is very high-quality, screws in very snugly, and makes no squeaks. The threading on the host part has 2 rubber retention rings, this is a nice touch. Once the battery is interted and the tailcap is secured, there is no rattling or movement of internal parts of any kind.

4738-o-like-400mw-532nm-shining-into-sky.jpg
4739-o-like-400mw-532nm-shining-building.jpg

The beam is stunning in the night sky, and while I was taking these shots there was a lady walking her dog, and she exclaimed "OMG" she seemed startled so I quickly turned it off. Its not easy taking nightshots in the city when you dont have a nice balcony like DJ lol. But then again he does live in a penitentiary :p. Also, I was using an I-Phone and trying my best NOT to drop my baby.

Indoor Beamshots:

4746-o-like-400mw-532nm-beam-6.jpg
4745-o-like-400mw-532nm-beam-5.jpg

4742-o-like-400mw-532nm-beam-1.jpg
4741-o-like-400mw-532nm-filtered-dot.jpg

The beam indoors is like a green lightsaber. Its a column of light that brightly illuminates the whole room. The ones in my kitchen were done using a "Laser-catcher" namely, a peice of metal spray-painted black. The dot of this laser is a beautiful TEM00 circle with a halo of softer light around it. Absolutely no artifacts. All beamshots were taken in the absence of any smoke, smog, steam or any other external effects.

And now lets take a look at how much this baby puts out (no-pun intended :shhh:): These tests were done using a AW protected 18650 Battery ouputting exactly 4.02v.

4730-o-like-400mw-532nm.jpg

As you can see, it performs masterfully; as it produces a "tree-stump" style graph denoting stability and little volatility in power output, which is respectable for a DPSS system. It has a peak of 535mW, and an nice average output of about 480mw-500mw. This is an excellent laser.

4731-o-like-400mw-532nm-ir.jpg

Here is the corresponding IR plot, showing a peak IR output of 30mW, which is about 5.6% IR. Note that during the plotting of the laser's IR output, this baby melted a spot about ~1.5mm in diameter on my 532 goggles despite my best efforts. Which demonstrated how far I will go to bring you guys information! Oh and btw, Ta-da!, 1.5mm, theres your beam width! :p. It should also be noted that these glasses were very close to the themopile during testing and once heated up by the laser, these glasses will give out their own IR radiation so that probably affected the reading. The IR output is therefore somewhere below the 5.6% figure. The laser also draws about ~3A from the battery.

Last but not least there are two videos for your viewing pleasure:

Video of the laser burning a large hole in a white envelope:

reading on my Laserbee I:

Thank you for reading! <3

-Sal

A very nice review!
What is the exact name of that meter seen in your video? How much does it cost? Where can be bought?
I have ordered from O-like on 01/21/11 several things and one of them was the "450mW New portable Green laser torch/IR filtered."
I hope it gets to me with no problem in a working condition... ;)

traged

Good point, Droid...

Is it actually possible to take off the waterproof lens from this laser (without damaging it)?

Arshus

Idk, I kinda like the waterproof lens, its acts as a dust/scratch guard for the real lens, and since mine doesnt have any splash whatsoever anyway, Its not a huge priority for me.

-Sal

traged

Anyway, the laser looks great! According to Susie it should be on stock again in mid February so I can't wait...

BTW, respect to O-like shipping - my last order arrived in 6 working days (without the fast shipping option). It usually takes 3-4 weeks with other chinese companies.

Aaron

A very nice review!
What is the exact name of that meter seen in your video? How much does it cost? Where can be bought?
I have ordered from O-like on 01/21/11 several things and one of them was the "450mW New portable Green laser torch/IR filtered."
I hope it gets to me with no problem in a working condition... ;)

The meter is a Laserbee LPM. Search for "laserbee" in the LaserPointerForums search bar and you shold be able to find it. I think it costs ~$280 though :banghead:

Arshus

Yes that is a Laserbee I. Follow the bottom link in my sig for more infomation about it.

This laser took approx 4 weeks to arrive.

-Sal

Arshus

Yeah, the Alpha is very nice IF you can get one. The pros are the price and It's ability unlike the Laserbee I, to measure output upto 2W.

The cons are, that there is no data logging of any sort, which is one of the things I like about the laserbee. Some even have said that the Alpha is more accurate than the Laserbee, but that claim is to date, unsubstantiated.

-Sal

I have been looking at this laser for a while now but I have a hard time trusting such a cheap yet powerful green. I will be interested to see how yours does in the long run

X FLY

omfg a 500mW green with TEM00, no artifacts, water proof and a good beam for 200$.. SHIIIIII

Thats a really nice laser, even at about 300mw the green o-like is really good for just 200$

EDIT: Forgot to add focusable :)

Last edited:

Arshus

I have been looking at this laser for a while now but I have a hard time trusting such a cheap yet powerful green. I will be interested to see how yours does in the long run

Yes, lol so will I. I'm very careful not to run it for more than 60-90 secs at a time for this reason. Susie says because of the power, try and keep it to 60 secs. If it fails within 6 months they will send me a new one.

I think if it fails there's a high probability that it will do so within 6 months.

-Sal

Wow. You've been doing this for a while. I assume the best 635nm pen I'm going to get is a DIY or a homemade version from an LPF member then.

On a side note, what did you think of my new O-like 532nm?: http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/o-like-400mw-532nm-very-overspec-60413.html

I'm curious as to what type of feedback you would have on these "cheap chinese units"

-Sal

I can't really give an opinion on one since I don't have one. I considered buying one for a good review but I'm trying not to spend much money on lasers.

From what others have posted, it seems like a pretty solid light.

I may pick one up down the road to review thoroughly. I would love to dissect it and miniaturize the module to stuff in a smaller host. The cheap power is appealing. I'll consider it for a future project.

Re: 635nm pointers:
Yeah, you probably won't have a lot of luck finding a >5mW 635nm pointer on the market.
I've been searching endlessly for a single mode ~635nm red in the 30-50mW range but have yet to find any at a good price. I missed the opportunity for those 40mW diodes on eBay some time ago... bang head on wall...

Last edited:

Tonga

Sal that is awesome. I really like the looks of these laser hosts too have been looking at them for a while. They really do a excellent job on them. Thanks for the post.