Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

O-like 200mw red vs 200mw green burn test

Of the people that have the new style 200mw red focusable laser from O-like and the focusable 200mw green laser which is the better burner?! Obviously the green is more visible but what about performance on focusability as well as "dot" size at long distances, which can effectively burn better at long distances? If you own both please post a reply and show a video comparison please! I haven't ordered an "o-like" green laser module thats 150mw or 200mw yet but want to, do these modules burn well and have a great dot close up and far away with good divergence?

I would imagine the red would burn better because of the size of the beam at output being larger and collimated rather than being focused. Blu-ray and red lasers have a larger beam diameter at the aperture, a guess would be around a 1/4" on some. Because of this you have the ability to collimate the beam, lets say this. The beam starts out at 1/4" it gets smaller and smaller until you reach about 35-40ft. Then it becomes bigger again and keeps getting bigger forever, like a green. Giving you an optimum burning distance of around 40ft. When you find the sweet spot ( smallest point in beam ) you can even light matches at great distances.

-Greg

D

Deleted member 8382

From my experience, a non filtered IR green will burn better. My rafoss unit, which is 180mW green and 40mW IR burns like hell, way more than my Dilda (even with the 3.6V batteries)