Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

O-Like 100mW or Wicked Lasers?

Im lookin at both the O-like 100mW bluray laser, and the E3 Elite lunar laser from wickedlasers and just wanted to know the differences. Ive found some like the wickedlasers is more expensive and isnt focusable, but you can buy the lenses. My guess is the wickedlasers is brighter, and i believe it is IR filtered. I would order safety glasses from whatever website i got it from.

It would cost me 116 total from wickedlasers for all i want.
And Right at 100 for the O like.

What do you think?

Bluray does not have an IR risk. Bluray is a direct output diode. Nothing but ~405nm light comes out the diode.
Green uses a pair of crystals pumped by a powerful IR diode. IR light can through/past the crystals.

I would avoid WL unless you like waiting. They are bogged down with orders.
Just realized you will have some wait with WL.

IMO, the WL looks better and is probably worth the extra coin if fixed focus is not a deal breaker. Even then you should be able to change the lens with a lens kit. Me? I'd get the WL. But I don't mind waiting.

Honestly, a PHR is a cheap diode and you can get 100mW EASY if you DIY.
My first laser I ever built was the ~180mW bluray in my sig (very recent). No prior experience.
It cost probably $75 for the parts I used. granted, I had all of the machines and equipment already.
The experience alone was worth $75. I just happened to get a laser out of the deal too :)

Last edited:
Im just a kid with no experience soldering and just a lil know how of electronics. Id be interested to build one, but id rather experiment after i got my own laser. Il prob get WL just cuz its a brand i trust.

Time to learn. :D

15W Soldering Iron, Solder, Wire, and solder Wick are <$15 @ radioshack.
Find broken electronics for free and practice removing and adding componets.
(Hint: discharge capacitors)

Way back when Playstations were king, CD burners became affordable, and modchips were invented I picked up a soldering iron and learned how to solder 30 gauge wire to PCBs real fast. Sink or swim! :cool:

Asa

Im just a kid with no experience soldering and just a lil know how of electronics. Id be interested to build one, but id rather experiment after i got my own laser. Il prob get WL just cuz its a brand i trust.

Browse the forums and you'll quickly find out that WL is not a brand to trust. I'd go with the O-Like, definitely.

Ordering from WL, you'll (most likely) experience an underspec product, a long wait time and possible issues with your laser.

Ordering from O-Like, you'll (most likely) experience an up-to-spec or overspec product (you can even ask them to measure your laser's output before they ship it off, contact Susie if you want this done), a moderate wait time, and, since they test their lasers before shipping them out, a less likelihood that your laser will have problems.

But, all in all, DIY is the best way to go for a 405nm laser!

Last edited:
Browse the forums and you'll quickly find out that WL is not a brand to trust. I'd go with the O-Like, definitely.

Ordering from WL, you'll (most likely) experience an underspec product, a long wait time and possible issues with your laser.

Ordering from O-Like, you'll (most likely) experience an up-to-spec or overspec product (you can even ask them to measure your laser's output before they ship it off, contact Susie if you want this done), a moderate wait time, and, since they test their lasers before shipping them out, a less likelihood that your laser will have problems.

But, all in all, DIY is the best way to go for a 405nm laser!

It's very true that WL is the brand not to trust (at least during this Arctic madness :eek:). They are struggling greatly to mass produce arctics, so the QC of their lasers 'may' not be smiled upon. Yes, it's true - there could be delays in shipments (for all lasers).

However, in my case, they actually shipped an Evo Pro 130mW to me in less than 1 week from ordering. This was before WL even shipped a single arctic. They were completely overloaded at that time, and I bet they still are. I took a risk to see what would happen, and it ended up just fine.
(Btw, the unit performs great.) - Their units are Not necessarily terrible underspec, though it's possible that it could happen to anyone.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd try staying clear of WL for the time being. However this is your decision.
O-like has nice cheap prices, and they consistently send out many on-spec and overspec units. I don't have experience buying from them, but I've read many reviews that demonstrate the good quality of their products. Also - great communication as well.

@Sargeantbob: Try doing a bit more reading around the forum - You're gonna need it. :D

Last edited:

Asa

It's very true that WL is the brand not to trust (at least during this Arctic madness :eek:). They are struggling greatly to mass produce arctics, so the QC of their lasers 'may' not be smiled upon. Yes, it's true - there could be delays in shipments (for all lasers).

However, in my case, they actually shipped an Evo Pro 130mW to me in less than 1 week from ordering. This was before WL even shipped a single arctic. They were completely overloaded at that time, and I bet they still are. I took a risk to see what would happen, and it ended up just fine.
(Btw, the unit performs great.) - Their units are Not necessarily terrible underspec, though it's possible that it could happen to anyone.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd try staying clear of WL for the time being. However this is your decision.
O-like has nice cheap prices, and they consistently send out many on-spec and overspec units. I don't have experience buying from them, but I've read many reviews that demonstrate the good quality of their products. Also - great communication as well.

* Try doing a bit more reading around the forum - You're gonna need it. :D

There are many people who are happy with their WL products, agreed, but O-like still has greater customer satisfaction (in general).

Right now, if he were to order the S1 Sonar Lunar, he's 99.9% likely NOT to receive it in less than one week because, from what I've seen, NO ONE has received one yet. Not one person (at least on this forum and some others) has this laser yet, even though they've purchased them over a month ago. Correct me if I'm wrong, I did do a little searching to acquire this fact, but I may not have looked in the right places.

With that said, at this point in time, the O-like laser seems like a much more viable purchase.

NoBama

go with o-like. i got mine with in 2 weeks. the host all look the same, the 808 and the bluray. also got the water proof red laser and the pen bluray, which burned my hands when i put it right on it.

Asa

Just read from USPS that my O-like just got dropped off at my house (at work now). It took 9 days total.

I definitely dont want it underspec, so il go with O-Like which is Cheaper by about 20 bucks. Idk why i capitalized cheaper...

After the Arctic there will be a backlog of Sonars, seems they are working on the Arctics to get them out, so QC is crap and the Arctics are crap inside. Mine crapped out in 4 days and since WL never reply are stuck with a useless Arctic. I warn you, don't buy from WL because there will also be a backlog of Sonars and rush these out the door, and you to will be stuck if it craps out. At least going through O-Like, if you get a faulty laser they will replace it, unlike WL, who now have gone downhill.

I had a Sonar on order but cancelled it, due to none replying from WL concerning my faulty Arctic.

I just got my O-like 200mW 405 and a pair of glasses today, I ordered on the 11th. Pretty fast for Chinese mail-order. My office here at work smells of burnt paper and melted plastic. :D

Last edited:

Hey, If you start reading the posts, then you will realize that WL made a tactical error with the release of the 1 watt (generally less, I do have a G2 on order since July 22nd.) When a world wide news article, likened them to the Star Wars Light Sabre, they got swapped in the 10,000s order range. So right now they are in a big sweat to get them out. Most people, here, are avoiding ordering from WL because of back-orders. There are people in here who can supply you with working lasers, with tested outputs, just ask. Ask jayrob, and he will direct you on your first purchase. But like others, Susie at O-like will take good care of you, I have a special order coming from O-like this next week. :wave:

Asa

Hey, If you start reading the posts, then you will realize that WL made a tactical error with the release of the 1 watt (generally less, I do have a G2 on order since July 22nd.) When a world wide news article, likened them to the Star Wars Light Sabre, they got swapped in the 10,000s order range. So right now they are in a big sweat to get them out. Most people, here, are avoiding ordering from WL because of back-orders. There are people in here who can supply you with working lasers, with tested outputs, just ask. Ask jayrob, and he will direct you on your first purchase. But like others, Susie at O-like will take good care of you, I have a special order coming from O-like this next week. :wave:

And if you start reading the posts, you'll see he said...

I definitely dont want it underspec, so il go with O-Like which is Cheaper by about 20 bucks. Idk why i capitalized cheaper...

22 days ago. ;)