Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Now its dead :( 800mw Lasever module

Nooooooooooooooooo! :cryyy:

So close to finish my new project and than this! Can´t belive it :mad:

But first the progress so far:

-Getting the lense glued to the focusing ring

-The IR filter is glued to another copper ring

-Connecting more flexible cabels to driver

-Getting the module inside the host with thermal compound

-IR Filter connected to front end (not all the way in yet)

-Close shot of the lens before inserting it

-Lens inserted

-Connecting driver to module

-Driver installed

-Driver fixing ring with spring for battery

-Setup of the first (and last) test

Sadly this was the last test:cryyy: I wanted to compare the power of using a 18650 and a 22650 batt. First i did some LPM measurements. Each test was for about 10s. With the 18650 i got almost 1,8W and this was already suspect. With the 22650 it reached over 2W wich is way to much for what the specs say :thinking: So i went on to test the current. I wondered before about that high current draw of the driver. Using the 18650 it took 4,5A wich was already a lot. But testing the 22650 batt showed that it took over 5A. I already suspected the driver to be broken... but stupid as i was i went for one more short LPM test. Just when pushing the button it did a short flash and then the power suddently fell all the way down to 5mw. Now it´s still shining, but at real low power :undecided:

I am sure the failure was in the driver and the diode got all the power of the battary. Should have trusted my sense.

Now i must find a way to get this thing going again, too much work and money went into the host!

My questions to the experts in here:

-Is it possible to change the diode of the module? (maybe even to a stronger one)
-If not, anyone knows a place where i can get a similar module (i think Lasever is not selling those 800mw modules anymore). I only know CNI has some, but with less power.
-Any other recommendations? Maybe the new Nichia diode (but i am looking for a great divergence, so probatly not good for me).

Oh man that sucks such an efficient module:(
Which size has your old module?
I know a round one 25mm Dia 90mm length

This one was 26mm in dia and 50mm long. Wich one did you think of?

Thats how it would look when finished:

Hope someone know´s if these Modules can be repaired. I am pretty sure it is the diode. :bowdown:

Last edited:
Its possible but the alignment in such a small module is hard for hobbyists...

How long ago did you get the module? You might be able to send it back and explain how it was defective and get a new one.

it´s been probatly 3 years now since i bought it. and warranty was only for a year, so i don´t think i´ll get a new one :/

but i would give it a try to fix it if there is no other option.

I could probably fix it if you buy the parts. As long as I can get into the module relatively easily. Would be a waste to trash good crystals. And if not I might be interested in purchasing the guts.

Last edited:
How and when did you get this module? I have never been able to get in contact with lasever :(

Thanks
-Matt

Encap

Am sure lasever could fix it--the question is a what cost including shipping both ways.

Maybe email them and ask them if they can supply you with a new diode for the module and cost of same.

You probably shorted out the driver and diode was directly connected to battery power. I suspected it being the case when I saw how you installed your driver. You cramped it up inside, or you probably made a mistake when you soldered the new wires on it.

ALWAYS triple-check driver connections. If unsure, wrap entire thing up in electrical tape so nothing touches the metal walls of the host.

Thanks for your answers!

Qultimatekaiser: thanks for your offer. I´ll first try it myself, but maybe i´ll come back to you if i can´t do it. It´s a good learning lesson for me anyway ;)

@KRNAZNBOY: i just talked to dave from Lasever. You can reach him via email. Luckily he got another 800mw module he is willing to sell :bowdown: So i got that fixed.
But i still want to repair the old module. I asked him if he could sell me the diode itself. Still waiting for his answer. Thanks for the hint Encap!:beer:

@Eudaimonium: No, i didn´t shortcut it in this host, i was very careful with that (killed alot of drivers with my flashlightmods that way) ;)
But it maight already have been shortcutted in my old host. And since i used a weak spring for battery connection it never got too much current. But now with the new and thicker spring & better cables it killed it. Thats my conclusion.

Hope to get the new module soon :yh:

Dave said a new diode costs me 100$. Seems a little expensive to me :/ What do you think?

Last edited:
depends on how powerful the diode is. 100 bucks for what I suspect is a c-mount 808 is pricy, but not unreasonable for a good quality one. If you want to try fixing it yourself, I can help you with the process, just let me know :)

We're all here to learn and explore afterall...and most importantly...to have fun!

was this the laser that was doing 1.5W at 532nm? yes, I'd say a diode that gets that much green after the DPSS process is worth $100. I guess the one you had may have been a freak diode.

@ultimatekaiser: Thanks man! I am sure i will contact you when i start with replacing to catch some helpful tips ;)

@shakenawake: Yes, that was the 1,5W module. What do you mean with "freak diode"?

I didn´t know the diodes are that expensive... what makes a diode a "good quality diode"? Because i was thinking of getting maybe a even more powerful one. Would that work with the cristal and so on? (i know, runtime will decrease)
I was also thinking about the new Nichia diode, but i am pretty sure the divergence will not be close to the DPSS i had. And divergence has priority for me.

Last edited: