Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Novalasers diffraction gratings

I'm quite interested in the Nova diffraction grating set; however $150 is a lot of money to spend and I'd like to know if anyone has any of these already and thinks it's worth the investment. I'd be placing these on an infiniti 95mW. Will I be able to see the beams in the night? What's the difference between a plastic and glass lens?

That's all for now. I searched the forum for topics involving these gratings, but it seems no one is willing to spend $30 each lens. I like that you place it on the laser though. Holding a grating in front of the laser seems hokey and loses a fair bit of coolness factor.

Pax vobiscum,
Charming Phoenix

daguin

Charming_Phoenix said:
I'm quite interested in the Nova diffraction grating set; however $150 is a lot of money to spend and I'd like to know if anyone has any of these already and thinks it's worth the investment. I'd be placing these on an infiniti 95mW. Will I be able to see the beams in the night? What's the difference between a plastic and glass lens?

That's all for now. I searched the forum for topics involving these gratings, but it seems no one is willing to spend $30 each lens. I like that you place it on the laser though. Holding a grating in front of the laser seems hokey and loses a fair bit of coolness factor.

Pax vobiscum,
Charming Phoenix

I have three of them. Being able to see the beams will (as always) depend on how dark it is and what is in the air. Here is the mega matrix and the liquid fan with one of my argons at about 30mW with "fog" in the air.

Peace,
dave

IMG_2436.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

Wow, a 30mW with smoke looks like THAT!?!? Wow!

I'm definitely buying the whole set, come Monday! Considering blue isn't as easily seen as green, I should have a fairly easy time doing what I want. Woo! You totally re-assured me with those pics.

Thank you VERY much Dave! d-('_')-b

rathat

You save using diffraction gratings wile pros that do laser shows spend thousands of dollars for the same effect.

ixfd64

I have two questions about NOVAlasers' diffraction gratings.

1. I know it's generally a bad idea to touch diffraction gratings because oil from our skin can ruin the slits. Does this apply to NOVAlasers' gratings, or are they encased within the glass?

2. Does anyone know the specs of the diffractions, such as the number of lines per centimeter? I know it's possible to calculate the separation between slits using the formula d sin [ch952] = m[ch955] and solving for d (I just learned it in physics class), but I don't have a diffraction grating myself, so I can't really calculate the specs.

ixfd64

I sent a query a few days ago and I haven't gotten a reply yet.

Does anyone know if the actual gratings are encased in the glass, though? IMO, it's rather important for customers to know whether the diffraction gratings are "scratch-proof."

ixfd64

NOVAlasers just got back to me. Here's the response for anyone who may be interested:

Dear Danny,

Our diffraction gratings come in acrylic holders so they can be attached to our
lasers however there is still an area where the grating is outside of the acrylic
holder and fingerprints or dirt on this part will distort the image.

We do not have lines/inch specs stated for our diffraction gratings as we only
require from the manufacturer that these produce a specific visual pattern, rather
then be useful for scientific applications such as holography. We do not want to
state specific specs as these may not be consistent through production runs.

Best Regards.

Magdalena Gudzowska,
Sales Director

NOVALASERS.COM