Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Novalaser Alpha Series vs X Series

eDnan

Firstly, I just returned my WL Evo 95mw that refused to work. WL will refund it, I guess I can't complain about their customer service...
Anyway, with the money I'll get, I can either get Alpha105 or X125.
I don't like X Series design at all (I dislike pen-like lasers), Alpha series also has a shutter, which is a plus, keeping the dust away.
But the power of X125... I can't decide at all  :-/

Any suggestions?

Is Optotronics any good? I think I can try and make some effort and buy a PPL-125...

Go with the x-125. The alpha has too many safety-gizmos which is simply boring and annoying.

To keep the dust away I now use a piece of "crystal clear tape" on the aperture. If it gets dirty it can easily be cleaned or just replace it with new piece, and it doesn't seem to effect the power.

eDnan

Yeah, the safety gizmos are kinda useless IMO.
And what about Optotronics?
Oh, and in another topic I read about a discount code in Novalasers... but I didn't find it searching around here

diachi

Go to deals and discounts and its in one of the stickies ( the NL discount code that is )

personally i think you should go with opto, because they have such good rep !

Diachi

eDnan

Optotronics looks less commercial than Novalasers and etc, but their product looks solid and good, I gotta have an answer on their shipping policies, I don't want my laser stuck at customs office :-X

diachi

the RPL and PPL from opto are both FDA certified if my memory serves me right so thats another +.

Diachi

I like the size of the Alpha over any of the PGL or Viasho typed lasers (personal opinion - not slanderagainst anyone !!)

eDnan

Alpha wins in the looks category, but there is something in the PPL-125 that attracts me... (dunno why =/)

diachi

The Pirce ;D I like the PPLs because they are less expensive, but they are bigger and older .

Diachi

eDnan

RPL is waaaaay too expensive... PPL-125 is the most expensive thing I can afford this time, and I really want a substitute for my Evo 95mw... worked one day only... when I was getting excited it kinda died (it actually worked sometimes)  :'(
And about the PPL being older, well, I don't think that matters, as long as it work like it should. And the size, hum, it doesn't  need to be small like a pen, I really don't plan to walk with it around the city  :p (that's what my CORE is for)

I would go opto all the way it has a way longer run time, bigger laser for heat sinks, since its got better heat sink will probably over spec, and opto normally is. Amazing customer service if you read their site a .5% return rate so only 1 in 200 lasers is returned insane diode life. That would be my choice for sure.

ixfd64

The "Alpha" lasers do have a lower beam diamater, so they should burn better. :)