Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NOVA X100 paint is rubbing off.

rathat

Is this a know problem because its really looking like shit now because every time i hold it paint peals off and the metal oxidizes and turns from a gold color to a bronze color. Im sending it to get the button repaired maybe they will do something .

that shouldnt happen. it has a pretty good gloss coat on it. i had mine a year and it was still perfect. the gold part however is a different story. THAT comes off.

Justin

Did you try to clean it with any solvents? The paint on those pointers is usually quite resiliant but if you clean it with any chemicals you may remove the coating. I've seen someone do it to an Aquarius before and we couldn't figure out why the paint was coming off until he told us he cleaned it with some sort of solvent.

Ace82

I've had mine for just over a month, and the paint is chipping off, not necessarily rubbing off. But that's because I put it in the same pocket as my keys. Oh well, I really don't care. I personally think that these little imperfections give it character, as it makes it unique and you would be able to detect which one's yours very easily in a big pile. I never really feel remorse about the visual wear and tear of my toys. :)

ixfd64

Yeah, NOVAlasers' products are of high quality, and the paint shouldn't wear off unless you use a strong solvent.

The paint on my 35 mW laser from Wicked Lasers has started to come off after just a few hours of use, but that's because Wicked is crappy. :)

ixfd64 said:
Yeah, NOVAlasers' products are of high quality, and the paint shouldn't wear off unless you use a strong solvent.

The paint on my 35 mW laser from Wicked Lasers has started to come off after just a few hours of use, but that's because Wicked is crappy. :)
Wicked sold CNI's once upon a time. They shouldn't have stopped :mad:

My old X105 paint chipped off like crazy, I think anybody that uses their CNI black/gold as their "pocket laser" will have a chipped up laser. It looks crappy but the only way to prevent it is to never put it in you pocket.

I just wish your laser aint looking like mine. ;D
1001082337a.jpg

1001082337.jpg

::)
BEAMSHOT ":D
0824081531.jpg

Justin

As an aside, the Galileo lasers are anodized rather than painted and it's almost impossible to scratch them, even with a metal object. If this is important to you you should take a look at our Galileo series.

Justin said:
As an aside, the Galileo lasers are anodized rather than painted and it's almost impossible to scratch them, even with a metal object. If this is important to you you should take a look at our Galileo series.
^
Even better, mod your X100 into a Galileo case. RA_pierce did it with his X105 and he say it was pretty easy IIRC. Plus, you would have longer battery life than with AAAs.

rathat

The thing is I want to know why the metal changes color when the paint rubs off. Is it oxidizing? Will i be able to make it a uniform color if i take all the paint off?