Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

nova laser's costumer service :)

sterg

i have recently orderd a 45mw x series laser from nova and when i got it.. i was quit upset. it looked great comming out of the box but when i popped some batterys in it was HALF as bright as my wicked lasers core laser...im hoping the cold didnt do anything to it when it was shipped here because in ontario right now its freezin.. n e ways i ended up contacting nova and with there sweet costumer sopport they told me how to send it back and gave me my rma. when they recived it they actuly found out it was completley fine! and it was my my own stupidity that cuased the low brightness and power of the beam.. i used panasonic batterys :eek: (i thought these were good). n e ways nova tested it for me and i guess my laser pumpes out a wopping 65 average and 75 max mw's! this sounds pretty good for a 45 mw laser not only that but nova IS MAKING ME A VIDEO! i asked em if they could provide video proof of my laser burning a bag and poping a ballon! ill try to update this msg asap when i revice my laser back and ill try to post the vid when i recive it (GO NOVA) :D :D :D

LarryQ

Interesting.....

About the cold....
I know what you mean.....

Put the laser in your shirt pocket (close to your body) for @ 1/2 hour to bring the laser up to room temperature before firing it up when it comes back.

I got my replacement X-105 and it was ice cold...
I don't know if that was the issue with yours...but as a general rule...greenies don't like to be too cold.

Larry

sterg

oh this i did not know... i knew cold affected it but wasnt shure how much but hey nova did say the laser was working perfectly and are willing to send me a vid so im 99 percent shure it was either my bad batterys or the cold :p

LarryQ

It must have been an easy shipment if you are also in Canada!!!

Heck...You could have gone there personally!!..hehehehhe

Anyway...about the cold....

It is the thermal expansion and contraction that is the main problem...

THere is an Array of lenses and crystals in that laser module, and everything is housed and mounted in brass.

As metal gets cold it contracts, expands as it gets warmer....

Since the relation of all these optics is so critical to make the laser work, any movemet will affect the beam!

Your best results will usually be when the laser is at the same temperature is was when everything was aligned at the factory for maximum green output...

Typically 70-75 degrees or Normal room temperature.

I'll wager that the cold, along with the Batteries were the problem....

Hint....if you want ...buy a pair of Energiser E2 lithiums....That's all I use, and my X-105 LOVES THEM!

THey are more expensive....but they are really great in these lasers!!

Larry

i had the same problem....then i put in some nice new duracell 2650mah batteries and it jumped up to power... but then my switch is acting up so i had to send it back to canada and am still wating for them to receave it.... but yes nova is a great company

sterg

umm iv gatta ask.. how are rechargable batterys for the x series lasers? it it ok to use them cuz its gunnu cost me a fortune on batterys for this thing if i cant! :(

All i use is rechargables but i have the alpha so mine are AA instead of AAA but even then i run AAA in my dx and it acutaly gets brighter becaus alkalines are unable to suply the high current that lasers require... the best to run are AAA endloops and the AAA energizer lithiums

but back to your quesion Rechargables are awsom in the lasers becaus you can always top em off and their good to burn : )

LarryQ

For rechargeables.....

The only battery to even consider are Eneloops....

You should be able to get an HOUR+ out of a pair of Energizer e2 lithiums.....

Use and Toss.....I HATE rechargeables!

Larry

Gazoo

sterg said:
umm iv gatta ask.. how are rechargable batterys for the x series lasers? it it ok to use them cuz its gunnu cost me a fortune on batterys for this thing if i cant! :(

I use sanyo nimh eneloops in mine and am very happy with them.

sterg

i know im gunnu sound stupid here but at least ill learn about batterys LOL. what are eneloops? a brand name or another word for reachargables and if not are eneloops reachargable? and are energizer e2 lithiums reachargable? and what is good mah for rechargables for laser pointers such as my 45 mw x series? im realy just trying to find a good reachargable for my laser so i dont blow huge ammounts of cash on batterys.. u know what i mean were not exactly millionairs here thnx

Gazoo

The E2 AAA Lithium has a capacity of 1250ma's. The AAA Eneloop has a capacity of ~800ma's, but my test results as well as everyone else who tested them showed an average of 850ma's.

The reason I love the Eneloops over any other battery is they maintain their charge. A traditional Nimh battery will lose 1 to 2% of its charge per day, and as we all know every time you charge a battery it loses some of its capacity. I tested some AA and AAA Eneloops that were a year old brand new right out of the package. They still had 75% of their capacity. However it has been reported Sanyo does not fully charge the batteries before they leave the factory. Also there is no way to know what environmental conditions they were subjected to during shipping and/or storage. Anyway, I was still surprised at the capacity remaining in the cells. All of the cells I have, have been consistent meaning they have all measured the same voltage out of the package, and have been very consistent during my testing for capacity. Others have also noted they withstand high currents just as good if not better than Nimh batteries.

Since the X-105 has a duty cycle of 90 seconds it would be difficult to know what the longest running battery would be. If we could run it continuously until the battery died, then it would be easy to test. My guess would be the lithium would have an edge over the Eneloops, but not by much. Also consider that once you have run the Eneloops through a few cycles, they have already paid for themselves..plus some. Since they don't need to be recharged as often they will outlast a regular Nimh battery.

Lithiums would be my second choice for the Nova or most any other application. I hate Alkaline batteries with a passion. I have had bad luck with them leaking on me and will avoid them. Even in remote controls I am now using Eneloops. I have never had a Lithium leak on me.... but have had a Nimh leak only once and that was because it was in a radio I forgot to turn off. I know it still should have not leaked but it did.

my x-65 destroys the cheap ni-mh batteries i use. i need to order some Eneloops.

about the cold, my x-65 seems to be very temp sensitive. even with brand new batteries, it still has to warm up for a few seconds. i keep it in my basment because it has a dehumidifier. its stays about 65 degrees during the winter.

LarryQ said:
Interesting.....

About the cold....
I know what you mean.....

Put the laser in your shit pocket (close to your body) for @ 1/2 hour to bring the laser up to room temperature before firing it up when it comes back.

I got my replacement X-105 and it was ice cold...
I don't know if that was the issue with yours...but as a general rule...greenies don't like to be too cold.

Larry

ROFL
Dunno where you're stickin your lasers mate... but behind my computer normally does it for me...

i also ordered some eneloops, when you get them you should charge again tho to get them to max charge, cant wait to put them in my x-65. Charley, does your x-65 light red matches unaided or only with a lense?

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

sterg

just got back from nova and they made me a sweet vid of what my laser can do!! these guys OWN check it out my laser with is the 45mw x series can push out 74 min to 89 max mw's "soo good" ;D and pops ballons from 1 ft pretty quickly.. im soo happy with nova's cervice :)

Attachments

• my_sweet_laser_vid_from_nova.mov
    6.9 MB · Views: 158
wooooooolazer, with brand new alkalines, it will light a match unaided with little problem. sometimes the match just wants to smoke and wont light and others will light within 10 seconds. i think i need better rechargable batteries also. :cool: