Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Not the UK aswell ...

whoopy-do, just what we need , more legislation......
You wonder what the criteria will be to get a licence.....maybe you will need to get more than 120 on an IQ test...... maybe they will search your house and if they find a hoody, no licence......

Regards rog8811

diachi

I know ... Ill be fine, no hoodies in my house and my IQ is around 135 so thats always good, suppose we could always resort to modules if we really had to, atleast I have 4 lasers coming from DX to cheer me up, two for me and two for friends/family.

Also blegh, theres been too much mess today, first the mouldy chess set, now my room.

Diachi

i still cant figure out how people could physically keep a laser steady enough to track an airplane let alone the cockpit of it. Wouldn't some of these passengers on that flight seen this laser at least? All these stories that the pilots are coming out with sound a bit sketchy to me. I don't understand how the pilot was "blinded" with it for 10 seconds...was he counting or something? :-?

diachi

I know, its really hard to keep it pointed at such a small area at that distance for that time, the slightest shake causes it to move A LOT, plus even trying to get it on something that small at that distance is hard.

Diachi

VW

"A Record probe found DX where a 200milliWatt(mW) laser-200 times more powerful than the UK safety limit of 1mW - is being offered for just £60."

Fixed...

;D

iewed

I wouldn't mind having to get a license for owning lasers, it would help prove that there are responsible individuals out there who can safely own and operate Class 3B and Class IV lasers.

On a side note, I've always found that most stories are extremely similar "Blinded for X seconds, but safely landed). According to Pseudonome137's calculator, the beam diameter would be at least 30 feet, which couldn't "blind" the target, but could obscure his or her view. And as others have stated, it would be next to impossible to keep the laser focused in that long unless it was mounted, and the user had access to a telescope.

Razako

iewed said:
I wouldn't mind having to get a license for owning lasers, it would help prove that there are responsible individuals out there who can safely own and operate Class 3B and Class IV lasers.

On a side note, I've always found that most stories are extremely similar "Blinded for X seconds, but safely landed). According to Pseudonome137's calculator, the beam diameter would be at least 30 feet, which couldn't "blind" the target, but could obscure his or her view. And as others have stated, it would be next to impossible to keep the laser focused in that long unless it was mounted, and the user had access to a telescope.
The problem with needing a permit is that you can't list "enthusiast" as your reason for NEEDING a high powered laser. You need a legit job related reason to get a permit. Astronomy might also work, but then you would need to prove that you belong to an astronomy club.

iewed

I don't think you need to belong to a club to prove you are something, I play video games, doesn't that make me a gamer without joining a club? Same could be said for guns, instruments, and virtually any thing that people collect or base a hobby around.

A test to get your license could also work, primarily asking about safety, how a laser (diode, DPSS, and gas) works, useful applications, etc. People who devote enough time to research these things upon their own free will are probably less likely to go and shine them at cars and airplanes.

J

jamie.91

THIS SUCKS asif the uk doesnt have enuf laws anv b**ls**t this is so stupid whats rong with catching the idiots doing this and throwing them in jail why punish everyone :mad:

iewed said:
I don't think you need to belong to a club to prove you are something, I play video games, doesn't that make me a gamer without joining a club? Same could be said for guns, instruments, and virtually any thing that people collect or base a hobby around.

A test to get your license could also work, primarily asking about safety, how a laser (diode, DPSS, and gas) works, useful applications, etc. People who devote enough time to research these things upon their own free will are probably less likely to go and shine them at cars and airplanes.

I agree a test would be best, however, that still doesn't stop the "attacks" from happening. I seriously doubt that these incidents were "terrorist attacks." More like curious and unintelligent human.
Even if licenses are required, it only prevents people from buying new ones. That doesn't keep the lasers out of the hands of those who already own them. For me, I could just take an astronomy class as an elective and then all of a sudden I have a legitimate use for a 120mW green laser than can melt plastic ;D

A Record probe found one Chinese website where a 200milliWatt(mW) laser-200 times more powerful than the UK safety limit of 1mW - is being offered for just £60.

I wonder what site theyve been too ::)

This sucks big time, at least australians wont feel as bad :p

Kenom

iewed said:

Ok I want you to go 1km from me and I'll shine my 100mw green at you.  At that range the "dot" will be huge.  However since you have been sitting in the dark for some time and have acclimated your eyes to the dark so that you could see while you were operating all that equipment in your plane, I hit you with my 2 meter large green spotlight.  Since it is now 2 meters it is very easy for me to keep that beam in your vision as well as all of that light (still a freaking ton) has now completely and uterly destroyed your night vision and blinded you for several minutes.  Sound fun.  Lets try it.  May not damage your eyes like a focused beam will at close range but it will still be REALLY FREAKIN BRIGHT.

What we need to do is be more responsible NOT scream and yell at how improbable the situation is!~

i reckon the test is a good idea, and although it doesnt take away the lasers from people who have them already, itll prevent more of them from falling into the hands of careless individuals.
We should set up a petition for like, a test to get a license or something.
I would but I dont know how to go about it >.<

diachi

@ Kenom : these people probably aren't using 100mW laser to point them at aircraft, try '30mW' ebaysers and thats probably more accurate, still bright but no where near as bad, plus 10-20% would get blocked by the aircrafts windows, which would be hard to aim at in the first place.

I like the test idea, it would help people who actually need and use lasers on a daily basis.

Diachi