Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Not technical need to do research

Hi All,

1st post so be gentle as I won't be anywhere technical as a lot of you wiz's out there!

Without giving anything away I have a business Idea for a product which would have use of a laser pointer so have a few questions if anyone can help. I have been googling a fair bit but can't really find what I'm looking for so thought I'd ask the experts- IE you!

I'm in the UK so wondering what legislation there is for laser pointers (and also the US as would hope to eventually bring product to that market too)

Also in term of hardware- I would need a button that could be pressed that keeps the laser beam on and last a considerable time- maybe 30 secs to 1 min per time it's pressed(or even if just stays on constant).

Also in terms of hardware how small in length could the pointer be? could it be as small as a button that would fit over the end of my finger? Or does it have to be longer like a small pen?

Then would need the device to be rechargeable and last for maybe an hour session (whether that's turning it on and off or keeping it on constantly) but if you can let me know which is viable.

It will just be a pointing device that needs to be able to hit targets from about 5-10 metres but has to be easily visible and the dot no bigger than 1cm from the 10m distance.

Any info appreciated

Ok, so YOU need to do research? But you want US to do it? Are you giving us a cut of your "business". Anyway google UK Laser Laws, use the search feature at the bottom of the forum. Also for the always on you should really just do some reading here. It very much appears that you found the forum and setup your account and asked the question.

Hi All,

1st post so be gentle as I won't be anywhere technical as a lot of you wiz's out there!

Without giving anything away I have a business Idea for a product which would have use of a laser pointer so have a few questions if anyone can help. I have been googling a fair bit but can't really find what I'm looking for so thought I'd ask the experts- IE you!

I'm in the UK so wondering what legislation there is for laser pointers (and also the US as would hope to eventually bring product to that market too)

Also in term of hardware- I would need a button that could be pressed that keeps the laser beam on and last a considerable time- maybe 30 secs to 1 min per time it's pressed(or even if just stays on constant).

Also in terms of hardware how small in length could the pointer be? could it be as small as a button that would fit over the end of my finger? Or does it have to be longer like a small pen?

Then would need the device to be rechargeable and last for maybe an hour session (whether that's turning it on and off or keeping it on constantly) but if you can let me know which is viable.

It will just be a pointing device that needs to be able to hit targets from about 5-10 metres but has to be easily visible and the dot no bigger than 1cm from the 10m distance.

Any info appreciated

Welcome!

I don't have any idea on the legislation of lasers in the UK. in the US, class 2 lasers are the limit in comercial products, with a warning sticker/info.

this button, does pressing it add 30 seconds to the powering time, or reset a countdown to 30 seconds?

laset diodes are about 9mm in diameter, usually. if you make a host, it will most likely be 12mm in diameter, and you could power it on button batteries. so the theoretical limit to the length of a full laser is 4-5 cm

with a small lipo battery, you could keep a 1mw laser on for about 12 hours, give or take