Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Not recommending rayfoss

I would like to share my disappointing experience with rayfoss with you guys. One day, I've decided to purchase my first cheap powerful green laser burner, and many members here recommended rayfoss for their outstanding customer service and relatively good quality products. Things must have changed since then...
I have received my first laser RF532-200mW-FMK(IR filtered) and it worked fine. The dot was perfectly round and all was good. After some use, it started mode hopping so I returned the laser to rayfoss and had it replaced by another one of the same model for a 30 $ fee because I had "messed around" with it. That one did not mode hop, but it's beam was something similar to the one of a high powered 445 nm laser. I decided to disassemble the lens assembly to clean it after having realized that a few circles appeared on the dot. While I was trying to disassemble the lens, I decided to turn it on to check if it was still functional, but all I got was a very dim green dot, which then turned into a red dot (infrared), which eventually faded and died. I then decided to send it back to rayfoss for the last time to be replaced. So rayfoss sends me a new laser that gets held by the customs in my country due to the odd subscription title of "Astronomy lab flashlight" they had assigned to it as well as the low customs value of 20 $. So i had to pay 160 $ to my country's customs to have it released and sent to my address, which includes handling charges, airports charges, custom fees etc... Today I received that laser, and it still doesn't seem to have a perfect TEM00 mode, but rather a circle with line sticking out of it. Also, the power button came off by itself because of how loose it was. I still have doubts about the claimed power rating of this laser because the previous one lit a match much quicker when focused to a tiny point. All in all, I can confidently say that rayfoss has good customer service (Faona), who replies to all of my emails no later than three or four days after having sent the email, but terrible products. I'm sad to say that with all the money I spent on shipping, custom fees, repair charges etc... while I replaced the laser three times, I could have bought myself a 250 mW laser from a reputable company such as laserglow, nova lasers, optotronics etc... I just didn't see it coming! I have learned my lesson the hard way and will never go back to buying cheap lasers again. This experience really did teach me something: You DO get what you pay for, at least in the world of lasers... Hope you guys don't make the same mistake, so save up on all the useless charges and fees that I paid and get yourself a high quality laser that will not need to be replaced three times! Good luck with your future purchases. I will never buy a relatively expensive laser from a cheap company such as rayfoss again. Thanks for having read this!

DJNY

There are more and more bad feedbacks about RAYFOSS in the last weeks/months. I´m sorry for your bad experiences... hope this doesn´t influence your laser interest too much and your ready to look for an other company the next time :beer:

I would like to share my disappointing experience with rayfoss with you guys. One day, I've decided to purchase my first cheap powerful green laser burner, and many members here recommended rayfoss for their outstanding customer service and relatively good quality products. Things must have changed since then...
I have received my first laser RF532-200mW-FMK(IR filtered) and it worked fine. The dot was perfectly round and all was good. After some so use, it started mode hopping I returned the laser to rayfoss and had it replaced by another one of the same model for a 30 $ fee because I had "messed around" with it. That one did not mode hop, but it's beam was something similar to the one of a high powered 445 nm laser. I decided to disassemble the lens assembly to clean it after having realized that a few circles appeared on the dot. While I was trying to disassemble the lens, I decided to turn it on to check if it was still functional, but all I got was a very dim green dot, which then turned into a red dot (infrared), which eventually faded and died. I then decided to send it back to rayfoss for the last time to be replaced. So rayfoss sends me a new laser that gets held by the customs in my country due to the odd subscription title of "Astronomy lab flashlight" they had assigned to it as well as the low customs value of 20 $. So i had to pay 160 $ to my country's customs to have it released and sent to my address, which includes handling charges, airports charges, custom fees etc... Today I received that laser, and it still doesn't seem to have a perfect TEM00 mode, but rather a circle with line sticking out of it. Also, the power button came off by itself because of how loose it was. I still have doubts about the claimed power rating of this laser because the previous one lit a match much quicker when focused to a tiny point. All in all, I can confidently say that rayfoss has good customer service (Faona), who replies to all of my emails no later than three or four days after having sent the email, but terrible products. I'm sad to say that with all the money I spent on shipping, custom fees, repair charges etc... while I replaced the laser three times, I could have bought myself a 250 mW laser from a reputable company such as laserglow, nova lasers, optotronics etc... I just didn't see it coming! I have learned my lesson the hard way and will never go back to buying cheap lasers again. This experience really did teach me something: You DO get what you pay for, at least in the world of lasers... Hope you guys don't make the same mistake, so save up on all the useless charges and fees that I paid and get yourself a high quality laser that will not need to be replaced three times! Good luck with your future purchases. I will never buy a relatively expensive laser from a cheap company such as rayfoss again. Thanks for having read this!

Your problem seems to be with CHEAP/Inexpensive Chinese Lasers...

Rayfoss can't possibly be blamed for bad customer service...
They sent 3 different Lasers..

Rayfoss can't possibly be blamed for your country's Customs/Duty
laws and regulations...

Rayfoss can't possibly be blamed for you opening the laser and
"messing with it".

Rayfoss sells Low cost (hence lower quality) Lasers and you take
the risk of getting a very good one...

Perhaps you were expecting too much from an inexpensive Laser..
You have not supplied any photos of the Laser or Beam profile...
nor a link to the Laser you purchased...

The other solution is to open your wallet and get a known higher
quality Laser from a known Higher quality seller...

For the Bargain hunters.... I would still recommend Rayfoss until
a lot of other negative posts show up...

BTW.... it is very difficult to read your text without any paragraphs...;)

Jerry

laws and regulations...

"messing with it".

Jerry

No comment...

^^^^ But you did comment....:D

I don't disagree with your feelings on that issue..
I'm just saying there are other issues involved and
to consider...:beer:

Jerry

Last edited:

laws and regulations...

"messing with it".

Jerry

I'm sorry, man. But I have to agree with Jerry. He's right, after all of what they've done you can't really blame them for things that are out of their control.

I'm sorry, man. But I have to agree with Jerry. He's right, after all of what they've done you can't really blame them for things that are out of their control.

What is out of their control? Providing me with a decent enough product that is worth the money I paid for? Just because the majority of the members here have had a satisfying experience with rayfoss doesn't mean everyone will. I don't need your opinions regarding my terrible and frustrating experience. The whole point of this thread is to let members (especially new ones) be cautious about dealing with rayfoss and think twice before jumping to get one from their site. I knew from the beginning that I wasn't going to get a top notch laser from them and I accepted that fact because for what I was paying, they seemed to have the best products for the price. But still, that doesn't mean I was supposed to go through all this **** and pay enough money to get myself another one of these lasers. Like I said previously, I know learned my lesson not to buy cheap quality lasers anymore. Sorry for being a little bit harsh on you guys, I just hope you can feel some empathy with me here...

Thanks!

What is out of their control? Providing me with a decent enough product that is worth the money I paid for? Just because the majority of the members here have had a satisfying experience with rayfoss doesn't mean everyone will. I don't need your opinions regarding my terrible and frustrating experience. The whole point of this thread is to let members (especially new ones) be cautious about dealing with rayfoss and think twice before jumping to get one from their site. I knew from the beginning that I wasn't going to get a top notch laser from them and I accepted that fact because for what I was paying, they seemed to have the best products for the price. But still, that doesn't mean I was supposed to go through all this **** and pay enough money to get myself another one of these lasers. Like I said previously, I know learned my lesson not to buy cheap quality lasers anymore. Sorry for being a little bit harsh on you guys, I just hope you can feel some empathy with me here...

Thanks!

Hey... you're not hard on me.....:cool:

What is out of their control is you "messing with the insides of the
Laser" (that you already admitted to)...
As far as I'm concerned that voided any guarantee with Rayfoss...
and they still sent you 2 other Lasers...

This is a Public Forum.... and ANY Thread/Post can be responded to
by ANY Forum Member...
If you don't want any responses then DON'T POST.... it is really
simple...

You should have perhaps returned it for a refund the first time...

I'm sorry that the responses are not what you wanted to hear...
but they are our rightful opinions...:cryyy:

As to empathy...
I've already stated above I don't disagree with your feelings on
your Laser issue..

Jerry

Last edited:

Thanks!
Hi Drummerdimitri,
What's out of their control is the quality of their products ie. quality control.
I'm sure you've heard of the saying "you get what you pay for".
There is another thing called TCO "total cost of ownership" and like you found out with a low quality / cheap product the total cost of ownership can exceed that of a high quality, more expensive product in the long run when you take into consideration return shipping costs and a product that doesn't live very long nor perform well; not to mention the headaches and the cost of your time wasted trying to remedy the situation.
I hear it all the time from my new customers that they got tired of xxx from xxx company and wasted xxx dollars thinking they were saving money.

Hi Drummerdimitri,
What's out of their control is the quality of their products ie. quality control.
I'm sure you've heard of the saying "you get what you pay for".
There is another thing called TCO "total cost of ownership" and like you found out with a low quality / cheap product the total cost of ownership can exceed that of a high quality, more expensive product in the long run when you take into consideration return shipping costs and a product that doesn't live very long nor perform well; not to mention the headaches and the cost of your time wasted trying to remedy the situation.
I hear it all the time from my new customers that they got tired of xxx from xxx company and wasted xxx dollars thinking they were saving money.

I seem to remember reading this Post....:whistle:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/wicked-lasers-arctic-dissected-54361-3.html#post766922

But I understand that sometimes a bargain is not really a
bargain... been there... done that...

Jerry

I seem to remember reading this Post....:whistle:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/wicked-lasers-arctic-dissected-54361-3.html#post766922

But I understand that sometimes a bargain is not really a
bargain... been there... done that...

Jerry
Hi Jerry,
Oh I agree.
Rayfoss was very fair to have sent him replacements, even if he took it apart.
Disassembly is a no no and with possible ESD or other things, the buyer could have and probably did cause the failure; I'm not questioning RF on the support and patience in sending replacements. I was saying that some things are out of their control, like quality control. The laser that was taken apart and failing can't be blamed on RF or their Q/C, but the other issue could be. It's just when the build price gets so low, component reliability and quality is the 1st thing to go. Everything possible to build them very cheap is done, cheaper components, lower performance, lower tolerances both mechanically and electrically. You'd be amazed at the effort gone to to reduce the build cost.

I also know that the only way to compete in a market is to reduce
build costs.. to a point...
The Chinese.. I feel.. sometimes go too far by sacrificing quality....
and their prices can reflect this...

I think this Thread is now moot...
The said Laser is up for sale....

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/fs-ft-rayfoss-rf532-200mw-fmk-ir-filtered-56267.html

Jerry

Jerry Moot is an understatement hes now trying to sell on behalf of Rayfoss lmao
http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/w...d-new-reduced-price-rayfoss-lasers-56437.html

jbtm

Sorry for your bad experience, must have just got the unlucky end...I have over 4 lasers from rayfoss, Some a year old, some a month old...All good quality, still alive, etc. Sorry you had a bad experience with them, I have got nothing but good out of them, as why I keep buying from them.

Sorry for your bad experience, must have just got the unlucky end...I have over 4 lasers from rayfoss, Some a year old, some a month old...All good quality, still alive, etc. Sorry you had a bad experience with them, I have got nothing but good out of them, as why I keep buying from them.

Thanks dude, I guess it might be a problem with only this laser. As you have said, you have 4 rayfoss lasers and they are all good quality. I will hopefully be replacing this thing with one or more rayfoss lasers.