Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Not FS: The "Red Bulldog" - 1W+ 638nm Build

rhd

attachment.php

As you guys know, this host was introduced to the forum by Lazeerer. He has done some truly amazing stuff with it, and his 445 "Big Boy" builds are the coolest creations I've seen lately. Anyone who thinks this is a cool host really ought to take a look at the high powered 445s that Lazeerer has packed into this awesome form factor.

I grabbed the host a few months back with the intention of creating a 3x XML flashlight build. The reflectors didn't fit, and the King 3x XML lights turned out to be a great bang for the buck already-assembled. So I decided it was time to laser-ize the host instead. I had a heatsink made for it, and out of courtesy asked Lazeerer for his blessing for me to do a build using his signature host. He was kind enough to give me the thumbs up.

But, I'm not a big fan of people building in hosts that otherpeople have popularized as signiture builds, so I wanted my build to do something unique. So what to do? 445 was out of the question, and the beefiness of this host almost immediately answered the question for me. How about create an insanely long duty-cycle, high-powered, RED?

attachment.php

Normally, I build 635s with really low dropout linear drivers and run them from a single cell. While ultra low dropout linears work great and create minimal heat, even minimal heat becomes an issue when you start talking about duty cycles of 5 minutes and longer, eventually that heat adds up. So I re-configured the battery carrier to run the 3x18650 cells in series, and went with a buck driver instead. The build uses one of the new high powered Mits 500 diodes, a 650-G lens, and a buck driver.

Here's the really cool part:

When you're talking about 1W of RED with one of the new Mits 500 diodes, you'd probably be pretty excited about a 3 minute duty cycle, and heck, 5 minutes would be even better. My target with this build, was even more ambitious: 10 minutes. Well, you know what happened when I hit 10 minutes on the LPM run? The output looked so stable that I decided to double it, and let it run for 20 :)

attachment.php

I kept this guy on the LaserBee for a full 20 minute run, and by the end of it, it had retained 85% of its peak power. In other words, this guy dropped just 15% from peak, after 20 minutes. Unreal. I'm going to sell this with a recommended 10 minute max duty cycle, because it feels so inherently "scary" to claim anything more. But for what its worth, you should know that the 10 minute suggested duty cycle of this build, is nowhere near "danger territory". In other words, it's a safe and reasonable 10 minutes, not a scary and dangerous 10 minutes.

The final touch was the focus knob, and there's a great story on this guy, Several months ago I asked Lazeerer to build me 8 random focus knobs, with no particular builds in mind for them. I just asked for "whatever random design came to mind", knowing that eventually, I'd build something where each of the 8 would become useful. He created all sorts of different styles and sizes of knobs. How incredibly fitting then, that several months later, one of the knobs he created fit this build (in a host he introduced to the forum) so perfectly. The beautiful polished focus knob you see on this guy is many thanks to Lazeerer's amazing machining skills. While we're on the topic, if you like this host, and want to see what it can do with his magic touch and some 445 power, take a look at this:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/s...-host-called-big-boy-71849-3.html#post1100910
(Thanks again dude, for indulging in my invasion of your territory)

I only ship via fully tracked and insured methods. Please PM me for a shipping quote.

You MUST own laser protection goggles appropriate for this wavelength, and
You MUST be over 20 years of age, and
You MUST be familiar and experienced with the appropriate safety precautions to take with lasers of this power.
You MUST NOT be a resident of Canada

This is not a laser pointing device. At all times, protective laser safety glasses appropriate for this wavelength must be worn by the operator. This laser should not be used around 3rd parties (non-operators) pets, or for any recreational purpose.

Attachments

• aa beam 1.jpg
    aa beam 1.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 927
  • aa beam 2.jpg
    aa beam 2.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 623
  • LPM - 20 minutes.png
    LPM - 20 minutes.png
    191.3 KB · Views: 865
Last edited:

Re: FS: The "Red Bulldog" - 1W+ 638nm Build

Another beautiful laser! Man you are full of nice lasers this time around. Just a suggestion...you may want to consider describing the nature of the output of these diodes for those who may not be as knowledgeable about them. Of course one would expect the buyer to be well read on the item they are purchasing before hand but more often than not this is not the case. As for bright ass red lasers it doesn't get any better than this. Nice work!

Really nice and fantastic run time! :) Just curious, what current are you running it at? :beer:

rhd

Thanks Yob!

Grainde, the diode is running at 1.5A

Hi RHD :)

Can i buy this build from you ?
So it can sit next to my big boy 445nm build :yh:

Let me know,

Best regards, Smeerworst.

Last edited:

Tman

Re: (Pending Payment): The "Red Bulldog" - 1W+ 638nm Build

Lazer #58 to add to the pile for Smeer....
heheh:D

Really Nice build....

Last edited:

Lazer #58 to add to the pile for Smeer....
heheh:D

Really Nice build....

Yes :)

Now that i have the 445nm 3W bigboy in the same host, this 635nm diode build would make a nice pair.
The host itself is just simple to use with very long run time capabilities.

I like it allot :)

I'm really excited to see the difference between my allready 500mW 635nm diode (also build by RHD), and this 1W 638nm diode :D

It's just that with all the high powered greens and blue's, you just need a high poweRED aswell to balance it out :)

Applause to RHD for making it happen :gj:
And everyone involved.

Will make some nice beamshots, when it arrives.

Cheers, Sm

Last edited:

DJNY

Another nice laser to add to your collection :evil:

I´m also getting a 635nm Big Boy soon, but I´m a singlemode guy :)

Your sale threads are great rhd, your putting a lot of effort and detail to these!

Ohhh Wow, the laser is allready here :D

That's so quick!

Once again i would like to thank RHD for a awesome build and quick shipping! +1

I know he's away for 6 day's... but i'm sure he will read this :D

:beer:

Best regards, Sm.

Last edited:

Blord

LOL, you have now a twin Big Boy. :D
You can experience which laser is the brightest in real life.

LOL, you have now a twin Big Boy. :D
You can experience which laser is the brightest in real life.

Yeah, i love it..

Will shoot a photo of the twins after i finished dinner :D

kNKpq.jpg

lXlx5.jpg

:drool:

sm.

Last edited:

Blord

I just have a wet pant. :drool: