Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Not exactly laser related but...

It does involve light and optics..

I saved it from the scrap heap today, and hopefully soon they'll find more parts of it for me.

100 internets to anyone who can guess what it is. :evil:

and 1000 internets to anyone who wins the first 100, then can suggest a cool way to repurpose it. heh.

(image intentionally left large to aid identification)
IMG_0571.JPG

Its a colostomy machine. :thinking:

Where do you find this stuff?

Lol. Last I checked those didn't involve optics or light. I'd give you a hint but I can't think of any that couldn't be googled for the answer in like two seconds.

I will say this one was made in the 60's.. and is missing it's upper dome though.

And how I found it is that I deal with a local e-scrap place and get computer stuff from them regularly. One of the guys there knows I like weird stuff so I get a phone call from him that starts with 'Dude!' and well. an hour and $20 later I had that thing in the back of my truck heh.

I still have no clue why I got it other than 'it looks cool'.. I'm actually trying to get things in order to move to CO.. so NFC what i'll do with this when that happens.

Last edited:
I dont know what the heck it is but get a picture of me with it.
Satilite antenna?

Planetarium projector?

EDIT: Damn you ghost!! I made the connection from light, lenses, upper dome, and it about astronomy.

Last edited:
Bingo.. It's a Spitz A-3-P planetarium projector.

I'm hoping they at least find the dome and arc lamp assembly for me, but I don't have high hopes. Though even if I get more parts, still don't know what i'm going to do with it. The zenith/compass point projectors are still there, as is all the planetary projectors, as well as a satellite and eclipse projector. It's mostly the stuff on the starfield projection side that's missing, along with other odds and ends.

I've played with a few of the removable projectors and they seem to work, however I haven't done much with the planetary stuff yet. The base plate is wider than my front door so the thing is still on my front porch. lol.. I will say it couldn't have been in very good shape when it was taken out of service. No way that much internal dust contamination is a recent thing.

Here's one with all the bells and whistles.

A3PP.jpg

Last edited:
Yesssssss! lol

I knew what it was before you said "dome". I used to love going to the planetarium and seeing that alien looking projector.

Cool find, man.

If you can possibly get it to move on command...and put some lights on it (perhaps...Lasers??? ;) You can sure amaze and scare a lot of people...especially those who are into Science Fiction...but...beware...could be a Burn The Alien! mob in your future! :tinfoil: I for one...would Love to have one of these...and at $20!!! An amazing find! Congrats! (I had figured this out just from the dome comment...but had already been answered)

Well the thing as is weighs like ~200lbs or so.. I would hardly call it portable. More than likely i'll dismantle it, pull the planetary assembly off (the coolest looking part) and just keep it around as a conversation piece. Maybe hang it from the ceiling or something. The A-3-P is about the most common planetarium projector there is so there's not really much money in it, Plus it's missing a good number of relatively major parts. The star projector being the biggest. The only people who'd have serious interest would be collectors, and there aren't very many of those, and since this is the most common spitz model there is, generally an A-3-P is what they get first from what i've read.

So unfortunately this is just an interesting piece of junk. heh. Kind of like my SGI origin 2400.. and yes. I have weird hobbies/interests...

sgifront1.jpg

Last edited:

LaZeRz

So unfortunately this is just an interesting piece of junk. heh. Kind of like my SGI origin 2400.. and yes. I have weird hobbies/interests...

sgifront1.jpg

Lol, What do you need a server for?