Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

North Korea long range rocket launch

Breaking news, North Korea just fired their long range rocket and so far it looks to be successful. Final stage has landed in the Philippine sea.

I do expect ROK do deliver a strong response.

Via the Yonhap News Agency:

TOKYO, Dec. 12 (Yonhap) -- The Japanese government said Wednesday that a debris of North Korea's long-range rocket fell into waters off the Philippines at 10:05 a.m. after passing over Okinawa.

Pyongyang fired off the rocket at 9:51 a.m., Seoul's defense ministry said earlier in the day. Japan didn't order its military to intercept the North Korean rocket, according to officials.

Shortly after the North's defiant launch, the Japanese government convened an emergency meeting of security-related ministers.

Last edited:

Did it actually get high enough to put something into orbit? Or did it just goof around at 100,000 feet? Because the latter is what more easily confirms "missile" like behavior.

Did it actually get high enough to put something into orbit? Or did it just goof around at 100,000 feet? Because the latter is what more easily confirms "missile" like behavior.

Rocket launch suggests a satellite or ICBM

That guy scares the hell out of me, thats what we really don't need "A nut with a nuke"

That guy scares the hell out of me, thats what we really don't need "A nut with a nuke"

just a little problem though, I don't think JongEun is pulling the strings 100% here.
I think his older military commander is fully responsible for the launch to prove to the world that they have the power!

Kim JongEun may be a state figurehead only as Korean leadership runs on age-ism. We don't really know who's actually calling the shots.

I rather Kim JongEun in power than someone else thanks. JongEun was educated abroad in Macau and Switzerland. I know a few of his previous teachers personally.

All have explained that he is/was an extremely decent, hardworking, abeit a shy person. No negative feelings at all.

I think this may be the beginning of an opening of N.Korea? Let us fire a rocket and then let's talk..... ?

Last edited:
If he is pulling th strings, that was an awfully stupid move on his part. But you could be right it might be the elder military commanders that don't seem very bright, one push of a button from a country that feels threated and North Korea will cease to exist.

If he is pulling th strings, that was an awfully stupid move on his part. But you could be right it might be the elder military commanders that don't seem very bright, one push of a button from a country that feels threated and North Korea will cease to exist.

Thats the point of the demonstration, no doubt. North Korea might go under at the push of several buttons, but not before being able to retaliate and start an all out nuclear war. A country that cant respond and defend itself, is at much greater risk...:(:beer:

Last edited:

Well, now that we've discovered that the launch just put a satellite into orbit North has just joined the space race.

I'm not really concerned actually. Why would it in their best interest to start a Nuclear war with the South and end up with a MAD result. (Mutual assured destruction)

btw, the woman from the NKNA (North Korean News Agency) who was doing the announcing
is speaking normally. Her dialect makes it sound like she is fanatical. After dealing with some ex-Norks in Sokcho, they really do sound like this when they get going about something. It's quite amazing/ amusing to listen to. The Southern dialect (Daegu and Busan area) makes people from that area sound like they're fighting or angry. Korea's got some interesting ways of speaking.

cM1VN.jpg

ARG

That's brilliant IE :crackup:

YAvpQ.jpg

Last edited:
North Korea does this all the time to attract attention when countries are more concerned with other matters. They'll get the same lip-service, some condemnations, some failed talks, and the cycle will repeat. Maybe it's just to have something new to tell their people for propaganda.

At least this time the rocket didn't blow up on the landing pad, or fall from the sky prematurely, or be an under-yield dud nuke in the hills.

I'm actually kind of glad that North Korea finally succeeded, and the reason is clear. Now that they know they can put a rocket into space maybe they'll stop trying to prove themselves.
My hope is that they co-operate with the South and start slowly opening up to the outside world.

Roam

Hah! The rocket was launched the December 12th, 2012 (12/12/12) ... the 52nd birthday of the He-Ne laser.

With the rocket launch out of the way they'll probably move onto another nuke test... well, at least when countries stop paying attention to them again. They perpetually do this kind of thing.