Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Noob question

This is my first post on these forums, and I'm not very knowledgeable about lasers at all... However, I'm eager to learn and very interested.

Although I'm looking at getting a green laser pointer, I was confused when I saw how cheaply blue lasers can be made yet the blue laser pointers are much more expensive than green pointers.

Why is it that I can make a blue laser for under 100 bucks, yet if I buy a blue laser pointer it is going to cost in the 400 range???

And lastly, I have owned a 15mw green laser a few years ago when they first started getting popular, If Im looking for a nice step up without absolutly having to wear goggles to simple point ( not up close viewing) what is the max mw you would suggest?

Thanks guys

Cavok

Asherz

I own a DX 100mW green laser which cost about 45$, for that price obviously the quality is going to be pretty bad and under spec, I'd say its around 60mW but still it's nice to look at.

I don't use goggles with my green because I use it too see the beam lol, not to burn, this is fine if you a careful and watch out for reflections. But technically anything over 5mW is not safe because they can blind you but as long as your careful it's fine, but if you if you get say a 200mW red to burn stuff I would suggest goggles as staring at the focused dot isn't good.

As for the blue laser you might be getting a bit confused, an actual BLUE laser, which is 475nm (wavelength) is made by an IR high powered diode lased through a set of crystals to get the true blue wavelength, same with green, these are normally VERY expensive.

There is also another type of laser called BLU-RAY, this is not blue it's violet and runs on along the edge of the visible spectrum at 405nm, it's a really nice colour and flaursices things like vaseline glass and glow in the dark paper, there are diodes produced in this colour which are mass produced so they are cheap, the PHR0-803T is around 10-20$ and give out about 100mW but there are more high end diodes like the 6X but they are still very expensive and put out alot more power.

I hope this clears up your issues, but you could of really figured it out with a bit of research :p

and just to give asherz a bit of back up.... RED and BlU-RAY, you buy the diodes, press them into a module attach a current driver and presto you have a laser. there are some members that do stuff with DPSS though but way too tricky. since you say you are so eager to learn. read a few stickies and the basics will sink in pretty quickly.

happy lasing
michael

cust11

This is my first post on these forums, and I'm not very knowledgeable about lasers at all... However, I'm eager to learn and very interested.

Although I'm looking at getting a green laser pointer, I was confused when I saw how cheaply blue lasers can be made yet the blue laser pointers are much more expensive than green pointers.

Why is it that I can make a blue laser for under 100 bucks, yet if I buy a blue laser pointer it is going to cost in the 400 range???

And lastly, I have owned a 15mw green laser a few years ago when they first started getting popular, If Im looking for a nice step up without absolutly having to wear goggles to simple point ( not up close viewing) what is the max mw you would suggest?

Thanks guys

Cavok

In regards to your thread title. There is no "noob" question. A lot of people ask the same questions and get directed to the search button, although. It is good to see your eagerness to learn and I hope this is a "keeper" hobby for you!

-Mike

Thanks for the replies. I know I could have most likely figured out my questions, but I figured there are guys on these forums who enjoy answering some questions and adding their 2 cents as well.

Since Im probably going to start off with a green pointer before I get crazy involved.... Im considering a few differeint companies.. skylasers, dragonlasers and o-like. Most likely 50mw

Hey, I would like to point out that usually lasers dots are safe to look at up close up to 30mW.

If you want a cheaper laser, the LEDshoppe 50mW pen is $24, and is pretty good (not filtered). But for a high quality one, the sites you picked are good (Personally I would go with the Viper... Auroras are not very good).

cust11

Thanks for the replies. I know I could have most likely figured out my questions, but I figured there are guys on these forums who enjoy answering some questions and adding their 2 cents as well.

Since Im probably going to start off with a green pointer before I get crazy involved.... Im considering a few differeint companies.. skylasers, dragonlasers and o-like. Most likely 50mw

Have you decided if you plan on building your own laser in the future or not? I would suggest a green DIY kit if you want a greenie for your first laser. It would really help you familiarize yourself with the components and how everything works.

-Mike

Last edited:
Well, what I was planning on doing is purchasing a green pointer (50ishmw... still havent decided) and making a blue ray. I still have lots to learn and have spent most of my day off on the web researching the basics (the very basics :undecided: )

With the blue ray Im just trying to figure out what I can get for a pointer sized package... possible buring, visibility of beam and IR hazard. I know that greens and blues use dpss method and double the freq but im still kinda confused on blue rays

cust11

Well, what I was planning on doing is purchasing a green pointer (50ishmw... still havent decided) and making a blue ray. I still have lots to learn and have spent most of my day off on the web researching the basics (the very basics :undecided: )

With the blue ray Im just trying to figure out what I can get for a pointer sized package... possible buring, visibility of beam and IR hazard. I know that greens and blues use dpss method and double the freq but im still kinda confused on blue rays

What is it about blurays that you are confused about? As for what you can get.. well jayrob makes a ton of kits that can be used for bluray! The size of the laser/pointer is totally up to you.

-Mike

ehh just why the blue ray is able to produce the frequency it does without using dpss process that blue and green use... Also lets say I go with a kit from jayrob ( guessing he's a forum member) would you say the blue ray beam is as close to impressive as a green or blue with equal power? being toward the ultraviolet side I would think it would be a bit more difficult to see.

Also, is there a difference in burning capability between a green 100mw and blueray 100mw laser? Or does the power have more to do with burning capability than frequency of the beam.... sorry for so many questions but ill take advantage of your kindness !!!:D

The human eye is far more sensitive to green than any other color, therefore mW for mW green is the "brightest" beam. As you travel towards either end of the spectrum, the visibility per mW drops, for example, in my avatar the 3 beams are a 48mW green, 220mW Blu-Ray, and 240mW red (see the difference?)

As to burning, BR diodes in an Aixiz module (where almost all builds have them) are able to be focused to a highly concentrated "spot" wheres greens are generally what they are, so the BR's definitely are more convenient for burning.

Hope this helped - as to diode and dpss technology (and comparisons of the two) there's a ton of info on the forum, search away!

If you want a laser for it's burning capabilities, make yourself a blu-ray. This can be done for as cheap as $60. If you need more information on this, feel free to ask. I can send you a heat sink as well for the Jayrob pocket mini build.
It uses this flashlight for the host.
DealExtreme: $13.24 Ultrafire 602C Q5 5-Mode LED Flashlight (CR123A)
and it also uses a Lava flexdrive V4.

All of these things can be found and researched on here. Do some reading and Like I said, feel free to ask questions or to send me a PM.

Now as for a Green laser...I highly recomend this.
The KD50
Here is my review on it
http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/kd50mw-version-1-review-40289.html

I think that there is a link to the laser on the review.

Well I hope that helps.
Later,
Iskor12

Well I went ahead and purchased the KD50 just now.. It says it is on back order, so hopefully it will arrive eventually. As for the blue ray, im thinking i may have someone DIY for me and ill get the next kit myself and learn to build it. baby steps.... who do yall recommend?

Definitely Jayrob's pocket Mini build.

oh yeah, you wont regret getting the KD50. IF it doesn't work when you get it....Try a different battery. 99.9% of the time, they send you a dead battery with the laser. I don't know why, but what do you expect for $26. :) Oh yeah, don't forget that the positive end of the battery goes twoards the switch.

Last edited: