Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

noob help please. RF 50mw FLX

I received my RF532-50mW-FLX yesterday and am very happy with it so far.

Fayona checked for me on the output power before it was shipped and was 66mw :) so Im happy with that.

I did notice that the bright blue power led was working and I needed to place my thumb over it when the unit was on and as I said it's very bright.

My question is, the blue led dont work any more, if it does it's a quick flash on and off or a small flicker. Does it affect the way the laser works?

Do I need to send it back?

Forgive my noob question, I'm just getting into the hobbie and love this site for all the knowledge it provides. I have looked around but couldn't find similar problems.

Thanks and happy pointing :thanks:
Here is a shot of the beam yesterday.

does this site have it's own image up-loader?

DSC00564814.jpg

If you try recharging the batteries, the blue LED will probably light up again. I've seen this with CNI units. Basically, the driver's priority is the laser output, not the LED.

So as the battery starts to run down, the LED, which likely isn't regulated (the laser diode, of course, is) dims or goes out before the beam is even affected.

So I'd really not worry about it. The indicator LED is mainly there for an attempt at FDA compliance as an 'emissions indicator' - I bet if you try it with fresh batteries, it'll light up again.

If you try recharging the batteries, the blue LED will probably light up again. I've seen this with CNI units. Basically, the driver's priority is the laser output, not the LED.

So as the battery starts to run down, the LED, which likely isn't regulated (the laser diode, of course, is) dims or goes out before the beam is even affected.

So I'd really not worry about it. The indicator LED is mainly there for an attempt at FDA compliance as an 'emissions indicator' - I bet if you try it with fresh batteries, it'll light up again.
Nice, I'll give it a try when the battery is fully charged and thank you for the quick reply. Is there a proper way to cycle the battery? or do I not need to worrie?

It came with a Ultra Fire LC18650 2400mAh 3.7v battery

Morgan

If it's a Lipo then no, you do not have to worry about cycling them. Try to store them part or full charged if you're not going to use them for any length of time and store them out of the laser so they don't trickle down to a low voltage. These have no memory so you can charge even when nearly full. I don't know if those particular ones you have there are protected but the main danger with unprotected ones is the under/over charge problems. There is a thread somewhere regards this and it may get a bit complicated to go through it again here so have a look for that one. The up shot is you should have no problems with them.

M
:)

Thanks for the Battery reply, Its a Li-Ion , LC18650 non protected battery.... I been burning matches all day and even still having a from what I can see FULLY CHARGED BATT the blue led lamp just pulsates.... what is wrong with it?

Should I just say heck with it and ignore it?

edit: rep added For Morgan, thank you for the replie

Last edited:
For piece of mind, can any body recommend a way to discharge the cell so I can kill it to take a full charge?

Morgan

You don't need to kill it. You can charge it whenever you like. I should've said Lipo, Li-ion, etc, generally any of the lithium type batteries. They don't need a discharge.

In fact discharging them below 3.2V, for 3.6/7V rated or below 2.8V, (I think), for 3.0V rated is bad and can damage the performance, or worse cause the battery to explode when charged next. It's not hugley common but it's best practice to not leave these on charge unattended and don't charge them with a NiCad or Ni-MH charger though. They charge in different ways.

Protected batteries have internal circuitry or mechanical safeguards to prevent over/undercharging. The chargers should prevent overcharging themselves but with cheap Chinese ones, nothing is gauranteed!

I found this site pretty useful there are others if you look around - How to prolong lithium-based batteries

edit: rep added For Morgan, thank you for the replie

I'm only helping because I can! :D

M
:)

Last edited: