Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Non-typical Hunting Laser Recommendation

Here goes nothing,

I don't know too much about lasers, but as I was inquiring about a red LED for hunting, someone mentioned an unfocused red laser would have much better throw and would work similarly. I'm not looking for a debate on ethics, just as if this has ever happened, or if it is even possible or feasible. Just looking for some general discussion on this, price range and learning curve. I believe in NYS you can use a laser for varmint hunting, just not deer or bear.

Clarifying, this is for spotting, not as a SIGHT, but as a "light source."

Thanks for any help or ideas.

Like I said, not trying to stir too much up, just looking for some brainstorming.

Thanks!

A light source with next to no output below 600nM has the benefit of retaining one's dark adaptation while illuminating the dark. In addition, many animals cannot perceive the long wave light.

I've done it with a 200mW 660nm laser and a short FL lens. I got good throw to about 1000ft.

Why not use a flashlight with good throw?

As stated above, you have to have the red light because it does not scare the animals as much as white light. Problem with Red light is it's inefficient for throw. It takes a lot of battery power to get to even 100 yards with enough light to positively identify an animal. Filters remove all but the red and are also inefficient. It's just a tough task, not a huge gathering of people looking for a red thrower, but it is out there. Also, it's not as useful to have a person with a high powered bulky spotlight sitting next to you. Better to have something attached to the weapon as use.

I've done it with a 200mW 660nm laser and a short FL lens. I got good throw to about 1000ft.

Wow that is very far for what I'm looking for, 300 yards is a good distance at night. How much would a similar setup cost? And, how easy is it to just "get into it." Lights are pretty self explanatory, lasers, I know less about.

Didnt realize not spooking the animal mattered lol. You can get a fairly cheap focusable laser and defocus it to get a similar effect. Possible even add a thumb pressure switch to turn it on and off if needed.

Didnt realize not spooking the animal mattered lol. You can get a fairly cheap focusable laser and defocus it to get a similar effect. Possible even add a thumb pressure switch to turn it on and off if needed.

Haha you'd be surprised.

Before I dive into lasers, this seems possible. My next question would be, depending on my setup, what am I looking at for run time, what batteries, and is heat an issue with long term use of a laser.

Again, I know nothing about lasers, if this pans out I can spend time researching myself but for the time-being I need to know how realistic this is.

Thanks for the help! Wow this forum has some quick answers!:thanks:

Yep, lots of options. If you want to buy it off the shelf it shouldn't be more than $50. Just READ THESE FORUMS SO YOU KNOW HOW DANGEROUS LASERS CAN BE AND HOW TO PROPERLY OPERATE THEM.

If you want a DIY, a "DDL" style driver will run you a couple bucks, and idk how much an LPC-826 diode is these days... maybe $10? You'd need a module for it, lens, and heatsink too.

I had grabbed my red in question from laserlands a few years back. Focusable, waterproof, and it was only like $30.

Batteries are usually lipo rechargeables and cappable of decent run times depending on current draw from the driver. Depending on the output of the diode and size of a heatsink you can get run times thst should work for you. How long does it need to be on for?

Yep, lots of options. If you want to buy it off the shelf it shouldn't be more than $50. Just READ THESE FORUMS SO YOU KNOW HOW DANGEROUS LASERS CAN BE AND HOW TO PROPERLY OPERATE THEM.

If you want a DIY, a "DDL" style driver will run you a couple bucks, and idk how much an LPC-826 diode is these days... maybe $10? You'd need a module for it, lens, and heatsink too.

I had grabbed my red in question from laserlands a few years back. Focusable, waterproof, and it was only like $30.

$30 sounds very good to me for what I'm looking for. I read the topic on the guy who shot his eye with a 1W blue laser and I cringed the entire time. I am big on safety and will be diligent for sure.

Batteries are usually lipo rechargeables and cappable of decent run times depending on current draw from the driver. Depending on the output of the diode and size of a heatsink you can get run times thst should work for you. How long does it need to be on for?

An hour or two would be typical. It wouldn't really have to be on non-stop, but periodically. A few minutes, ever few minutes sort of deal.

Ahh that should be easy then. Will havw to adhere to a duty cycle. Full hour run would be rough if not kill the diode at the output required for this. Theres always the possibility of damage from recoil. How will it be mounted? Scope ring on a rail or something? Have to take that into consideration.

Ahh that should be easy then. Will havw to adhere to a duty cycle. Full hour run would be rough if not kill the diode at the output required for this. Theres always the possibility of damage from recoil. How will it be mounted? Scope ring on a rail or something? Have to take that into consideration.

I figure it would attach on the underside of my rifle. It is a 260 Remington which is a fairly lower recoil weapon, it will be mounted on a custom fiberglass stock which is heavy enough to reduce a good amount of recoil. It could also be setup separately if the recoil is a huge factor, as long as it's shining mostly on the bait, which is a popular and effective way to hunt coyotes. Though, the gun would be much more useful.

Try searching around for a 200 to 300mW focusable laser. May have some luck in the buy sell trade section.

Try searching around for a 200 to 300mW focusable laser. May have some luck in the buy sell trade section.

I will check it out. Should all focusable lasers be able to focus out enough to light up a good sized area at 100+ yards? Or should I worry that I might grab one that isn't sufficient for this application.

They should all be able to focus to a small point a few centimeters from the front of the laser which would result in a huge flood of light further. Though you will have to focus it untill its set up to your liking

They should all be able to focus to a small point a few centimeters from the front of the laser which would result in a huge flood of light further. Though you will have to focus it untill its set up to your liking

Well alright, sounds good. Glad it wasn't as difficult as I thought. Safety would be quite easy with a laser like this given it is mounted permanently at the end of my rifle. Being on the other end is the wrong end, laser or not.