Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

No short 532s that runs 2AAA?

Hello, tried searching but came up empty.

Where could I source 532nm laser pointers ranging from 20-50mW that has a body length around 5 inches?

Closest I have is a 5mw Lyra from LaserGlow, just a tad over 5 inches, extremely handy. My Sky laser, LaserBTB, Optoelectronic pointers are all over 6 inches and difficult to keep clipped or secured on me. None would fit or be secured in the breast pocket. My Lyra is "adequate" at best used as a pointer. Though local light pollution renders it unusable most of the time.

My application is predominantly astronomy and if I put it somewhere it either gets lost or someone will pick it up and walk away with it. Oddly enough at public events involving astronomy the kids always have more interest in lasers than anything else. It's a bit of a hazard that we all watch out for.

Does no one except LaserGlow make 2AAA pen style pointers in 532nm (515, 520 is fine) that is around 5 inches max in length?

Thanks in advance

Well, think about it for a bit. 2 AAA's will probably already put you between 3.5 and 4 inches. Leaving 1 - 1.5 inches for the host back contact, driver, diode, crystals, lens and aperture cap. It's a little hard fitting DPSS into a very confined space while accommodating for temperature concerns.

You could possibly go custom with a mini CNI 532 module that maxes out at 100mW (and the module is around or less than half an inch), which should leave room for a driver in a 5 inch host...

Or~

You can just buy a keychain 532 that runs off one AAA or button cells.

__

Why the concern of 5 inches vs 6?

Last edited:
Why the concern of 5 inches vs 6?

It blends in better with everything else on the shirt pocket. Mostly just curious why most production ones on the market are so long. it doesn't fit in most business or travel accessories that has loop bands meant for pens, due to its length. So the reason is because the DPSS takes up the additional space? That sounds reasonable, hadn't then that into consideration.

My skylaser 20mW is 6-3/4" in length, my laserglow 5mW is 5-1/4"

While the skylaser is quite a performer, I find it inconvenient to carry. Long, awkward, sticks out of any pocket, and attracts more attention then wearing pink socks. Maybe its just me.

Last edited:
You can get one from Fasttech. It only takes one AAA though. It is very small and fits well in a pocket they are about $8 and are usually between 50-80mW according to most who have purchased them. It also comes with a star cap diffraction grating that I use as a dust cap. It has been 7 months and It still works as well as when I got it even though it was dropped 3' on to concrete. I have a thread that shows it here http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/fasttech-5mw-pointer-473-pic-heavy-85992.html It has nice beam specs too the only issue I could see with mine is that the beam is slightly more off axis then normal (could be from the drop) I can only notice when looking close up though it is not a real problem.