Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nintendo Wii or Alpha 105?

Orr3

Hello! :)

I played Wii Sports at a friends house yesterday and it was so much fun. Now I don't know anymore if I should get a Wii or a Alpha.

You who have Wiis are you happy with it? Is it worth the money?

Can someone maybe help me to find a good internet-shop were I can buy a Wii at a good price. When the were new the costed like $250 I think, but now I can't find a single internet store that has that price. The cheapest I have found is $350 and I think they should be cheaper now when they have been on the market for 1 year.

The ones who has Super Paper Mario is it über fun?

Things

well i personaly would go alpha 105, simply because i don't have a high powered greenie, but if you have a good laser, and know some good, fun games for wii, go for it! ;)

Rhith

The Wii is fun, but is short lived. There are only a few games that I have played that have truely driven me to play all the way through. Metriod and Mario are great games but after a while you tend to get bored with many of the games. I am currently trying to beat Metroid on Hyper mode and that keeps me entertained but the replay value isn't worth it. Things like Wii Sports and Wario Ware can entertain you time and time again but it becomes so repetative that you get bored with it unless you have friends with you to play games with you as well. Keep in mind that I do not "own" a Wii. But my neighbor's has been at my house for over a month now. ;)
On the other side of it, some people get bored with lasers over time and find those to be a waste of money. Yet, to each their own.

Orr3

I don't really now what to do...

I have a Phoenix which is great, but it has like a connection problem so it only works sometimes. That's why I want a Alpha because I want quality.

I haven't really tried the Wii so much maybe 1 hour and that was just the game Wii Sports. But I really like all the Mario games, paper mario, Super smash broos brawl and mario galaxy. And I like that you can buy old games to the Wii and play.

It's such a hard decision.

BTW anyone know where you can buy a Wii for around $250?

S

SenKat

Sam's club in the US just announced that they will no longer be selling the Wii online, and will only offer it in their stores ! Now, That KINDA leads me to believe that they will be lowerring the price on it, too - it HAS been out for a while, and Christmas is approaching, so maybe they are gonna go for cheaper finally ? Stay away from Ebay if you buy one though - if you are not where a Sam's Club is handy (aren't you in Sweden or something like that ?) then I can check the price locally, and send it to you if you bought it - IF that would save you some money...I'll go by Sam's today and find out since I am leaving my man-cave for a bit today :)

Orr3

Thank you Senkat! :D

I don't really now how much it costs nowadays but when it had "premier" last christmas it costed $250 I think but I can't find a single place who has it so cheap now.

Yes I live in Sweden, and it's costs about $350 here.

S

SenKat

Well - the Sam's Club did NOT have any in stock...they have a ton of controllers for the Wii - but no consoles atm.........

Orr3

SenKat said:
Well - the Sam's Club did NOT have any in stock...they have a ton of controllers for the Wii - but no consoles atm.........

aha Senkat. Thanks anyways :)

Think I'll go with the Alpha.

And maybe buy the Wii later.

Feels like I buy way to many things now. I also just bought a computer for $1.7k, remember the dollar is really low now thats why it seems like much money.

I have to disagree with the people saying the Wii quickly becomes boring... I bought one on launch day, and have spent many, many hours on it. BUT, there are some caveats.

Where the Wii really excels is casual/party play. This is perfect for me. I'm a long-time gamer, but lately between job and family demands, I don't have much time for games. The few times I do get to play it's either with friends or my son. In both settings the Wii is great.

Also - There's a lot more to the Wii than Wii sports, but as I've said from the beginning: If the Wii was just a $250 bowling simulator, it would still be worth the money :) Another thing to note is that the first wave of Wii games were very "gimmicky"... lots of minigame collections and such... But the wii has sold a TON of consoles and now lots of developers are creating games for it.

But, in the end it all comes down to personal preferences. I would say if you have always been fond of Nintendo games in general (Metroid, Zelda, Mario, etc), go for it. These characters are getting the star treatment. Mario Galaxy is nothing short of mind-blowing. I think dollar for dollar the Wii will give you more enjoyment for your money, especially if this is not your first high powered laser, just an addition to a collection...

That's just my opinion. I've had the Wii for a year and haven't gotten bored with it. Now I need to save up for an X-105 :)

-burnsy

Orr3

Burnsy said:
I have to disagree with the people saying the Wii quickly becomes boring... I bought one on launch day, and have spent many, many hours on it. BUT, there are some caveats.

Where the Wii really excels is casual/party play. This is perfect for me. I'm a long-time gamer, but lately between job and family demands, I don't have much time for games. The few times I do get to play it's either with friends or my son. In both settings the Wii is great.

Also - There's a lot more to the Wii than Wii sports, but as I've said from the beginning: If the Wii was just a $250 bowling simulator, it would still be worth the money :) Another thing to note is that the first wave of Wii games were very "gimmicky"... lots of minigame collections and such... But the wii has sold a TON of consoles and now lots of developers are creating games for it.

But, in the end it all comes down to personal preferences. I would say if you have always been fond of Nintendo games in general (Metroid, Zelda, Mario, etc), go for it. These characters are getting the star treatment. Mario Galaxy is nothing short of mind-blowing. I think dollar for dollar the Wii will give you more enjoyment for your money, especially if this is not your first high powered laser, just an addition to a collection...

That's just my opinion. I've had the Wii for a year and haven't gotten bored with it. Now I need to save up for an X-105 :)

-burnsy

Thank you for your post!

But now I really don't know again! :-/

I have 2 reds and 1 green(actually 1 green and 1 red as I've sold a red now :)). All of them are pretty high power, have done all the burningtricks and that.

Want the Alpha so I can have one really good laser, which works flawless (my Phoenix is having some problems).

But I really love all MARIO games and Super smash bros ofcourse. And I don't have a game console execpt my Gamecube (which has no game that I haven't succeed).

Now I really don't know anymore. When someone says a good thing about the Wii I want it and when someone is saying something good about the Alpha I want it even more.

Now im leaning more to the Wii.

BTW anyone know a good internet store where I can buy the Wii? Have tried to search on google but I haven't found a good price yet. How can the prices on the Wii have raised since they released it? Shouldn't it become lower?

Okay - I would go with a Wii. I have a Wii, and I really did not use it for a few months due to not many great games being out. Now that I have tried many, I would recommend buying Resident Evil 4, Guitar Hero 3 and Zelda. These will keep you entertained for a while (Plus wii sports..). Anyway...to get a Wii- go to your local Toys R US (if you have one..) and ask them when they will get their next shipment in. Follow it up so you can get the exact morning they sell them. Once they get the order, go in RIGHT WHEN THEY OPEN and get it at $250. That is how I would do it if I didn't have one.

Orr3

There is not maybe like in USA here. They have Wiis in stock but they are overpriced here. I'll try to go to Västerås and look around in different stores.

EDIT: Okey I checked now and if you convert the price to US dollars it is $391.770. Think I better buy from some american site because they are way to expensive here.

hey orr
i know you know there is a delay on the alpha
just wondering how you could stand it lol
why not go with an x series?