Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nichia? Projector?

Sorry if this thread dosen't make much sense but this is a question I've been wondering.

I remember reading on a thread while browsing LPF earlier tonight that diodes are cheaper if they come from projectors or pico-projectors(yes?). I was then told, that the 520 built by CNI for me used a diode which came straight from Nichia, making it more expensive.

Sorry, if I sound like a moron, but do all diodes come from projectors? If not, is there an advantage of getting a diode from the manufacturer instead of a projector? Or do all diodes come from the manufacturer but are then used in different settings(i.e projectors).

:thanks:

-Alex

They all come from the manufacturer and are used in something like projectors, DVD drives, or something else. Some diodes can be purchased directly from the manufacturer and some can't, unless you're a company that's buying many thousands at a time, like a company that is using them to make projectors. The only reason that some of our diodes are extracted from projectors is that those diodes aren't for sale to the general public, they are sold only to companies manufacturing something that uses them.

Alan

They all come from the manufacturer and are used in something like projectors, DVD drives, or something else. Some diodes can be purchased directly from the manufacturer and some can't, unless you're a company that's buying many thousands at a time, like a company that is using them to make projectors. The only reason that some of our diodes are extracted from projectors is that those diodes aren't for sale to the general public, they are sold only to companies manufacturing something that uses them.

Alan

Got it! Thanks for explaining it Alan :)

-Alex