Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nichia/ O-Like blu ray diode

[highlight]First off.....Great customer service..A+[/highlight] :)
Second...My pictures and Reviews suck...sorry

I payed $85 for the diode which includes shipping costs.
It took about 12 days for it to arive.

Here are some graphs made by IggorT :-?  I am sorry if I wrote your name wrong. :)

6X_vs_Nichia_001.jpg

120MW_NICHIA_DIODE_PIV_PLOT_-_LR.jpg

GGW-H20L Graph
Old_6x_Diode_PIV_Plot_-_LR.jpg

When I recieved the diode, it was packaged very nicely.  After unwrapping everything there was a tray that housed one diode.

photo-27.jpg

This diode was perfectly clean and brand new with very long pins.
I then placed the diode into a module
photo-28.jpg

I then wired everything up and put it into a pocket mini build.
DSCN2434-1.jpg

I set the current to 185mA and then I turned the baby on and made sure not to let the run times go past a minute.

Here are some beam shots in a lit up room!!

photo-29.jpg

[highlight]DO you notice the haze around the dot? I have never owned a PHR that had such a highly visible haze around it. The strangest part about that haze, is that it was mostly on one side of the dot and not the other. It looked very strange and to be honest, I didn't like it. [/highlight] 

photo-30.jpg

THE BAD
The diode had a total run time of 45 minutes before it died. :(  When it did die, it simply went black and never lit up again to see the day. :(

Do I recomend this diode........not really....It's not worth the extra cost.....the cost/output ratio isn't that good.

[highlight]For now, stick with what we know that works....GGW-h20L...[/highlight]

Thanks for reading.....I hope this crapy review will help people out when it comes to buying a 6x Diode. :)[highlight][/highlight][highlight][/highlight]

Man, that's a drag - 185mW seems to be right at where these are supposed to be run, too...

Nice, clean job on the build, though, and +1 rep for the sacrificing of a diode to help further the information pool on these Nichias!

I think the first kink on these was 175mA I am going off of memory though.

The O-Like site Data Sheet did say 115mA as a Maximum current
for 100mW CW output... It would probably last quite a long time
at the rated current...

Too bad about your LD death... nice review... :cool:

Jerry

BrewCityMusic said:
Man, that's a drag - 185mW seems to be right at where these are supposed to be run, too...

Nice, clean job on the build, though, and +1 rep for the sacrificing of a diode to help further the information pool on these Nichias!
Thanks

jander6442 said:
I think the first kink on these was 175mA I am going off of memory though.
I am not sure either...I remember IggorT? saying that he couldn't find a kind on neither these nor the GGW.

lasersbee said:
The O-Like site Data Sheet did say [highlight]115mA as a Maximum current
for 100mW CW output... [/highlight]It would probably last quite a long time
at the rated current...

Too bad about your LD death... nice review... :cool:

Jerry
HAHAHA....yes I know, but I was just basing my current level on what other people had said was a safe level for a decent life. I have indeed learned not to listen to what some people say.

[highlight]THe simple truth is....This diode is not in any way worth the price that they are asking and it is closer to being equal to a 4x diode.[/highlight]