Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newby query

conair

After reading a lot of pages I found laserpointerforums.
You guys know lasers. So I'll ask a question a bit out of topic.
I want to buy a green laser sight for target shooting at 75-100m but I don't know how strong should it be.
So I need your advice, how many mv should the output power be.
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards.

Teej

After reading a lot of pages I found laserpointerforums.
You guys know lasers. So I'll ask a question a bit out of topic.
I want to buy a green laser sight for target shooting at 75-100m but I don't know how strong should it be.
So I need your advice, how many mv should the output power be.
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards.

Green is the most visible wavelength, and, if for night shooting with a decent scope, almost any power ~ 5 mw or more will typically work.

If shooting during daylight, and, against a green backdrop (Grass, trees, etc), you'd potentially need closer to 100 - 400 mw or so, depending upon the divergence of the beam, how bright the daylight is on your target, etc.

Just like a flashlight, the beam gets wider as it gets further away from you...and, the wider it gets, the less intense the dot, albeit its a bigger/dimmer dot at least.

So, some lasers are better focused than others, and, one with a tighter beam might not need as much power to be as visible as one with a more divergent beam.

Can you supply some specifics on the context, such as is this for targets only, or, is the target practice to sharpen skills needed for real life...and, are your real life targets going to be at the same ranges and lighting conditions, etc?

conair

Thanks for your response m8, I'm going to use this for targets only (paper & metal) for no specific reason, I just like target practice and want to try something different than iron sights or normal scope.

Conair,

I would consider also the mounting on a firearm. Recoil can be hard on electronics but others will have to weigh in on what works and what doesn't on firearms.