Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

rpe

Hello I am interested in building a burning laser for my CNC project. I built one and it does not work at least the burning part it made a real nice pointer. I must have done something wrong. So I will try again and may need some help.

udanis

Sounds like your diode isn't either a. focused or b. outputting enough power

Welcome!

rpe

This is what I have.

Aixiz Mod with glass lens coated for red.
650nm 20x DVD Burner LPC815 Sled20X diode.
RKCSTR driver.
6 volt lantern battery.

udanis

Yeah your only going to be outputting about 300mW out of that. The laser engraver we have at school run at 20w. The faster you want the laser head to move the more power you need. Take a look at some of the 445nm projects people are making......one member recently made a 1.8w single diode laser. That would work well for a nice cnc engraver. I would even recommend you looking at some of the ir diodes. A 1w ir diode can be picked up really cheap ($20) and could do a good bit of engraving/burning of wood and black plastics.

Hope this helps
-Udanis

You haven't mentioned what it is you want to cut
or at what linear speed...

Jerry

Hello I am interested in building a burning laser for my CNC project. I built one and it does not work at least the burning part it made a real nice pointer. I must have done something wrong. So I will try again and may need some help.

What do you want it to do?

rpe

Mainly burn wood kinda like a wood burning pen would. Speed is not a factor. Would the IR diode from the sled work for this.

Last edited:

udanis

Mainly burn wood kinda like a wood burning pen would. Speed is not a factor. Would the IR diode from the sled work for this.

The most powerful diode you can get from a sled is i think a 12x blue ray and that only puts 500-800mW (around there). The ir diodes on the sleds don't usually out put anywhere near that usually only around 150mw. Last time I looked ebay had a plethora of 808nm diodes at 1w. (Yes i did just use plethora!)

rpe

Will the Aixiz housing and the RKCSTR driver work with the 808nm?

udanis

Will the Aixiz housing and the RKCSTR driver work with the 808nm?

The RKCSTR Driver is only good to 440mA so it will work, but I comes down to the diode. So lets say your diode needs 900mA to drive it at 1w I will only be putting out about half of that. And as long as the diode is 5.6mm it should be ok.

You probably wont get as much power with a rckstr driver than you would with a V5 flexdrive or a micro boost drive. They can put out up to ~1.5A Which is the max i have used (about 10 hours life :p), but the recommended output 0-1000mA.

I've seen these at the fleemarket. Seems to be the latest fad, and they are cheap to produce.

What is that you are referring to T_J...
The wood burning pen or the wood burning Laser
CNC device...:thinking:

I'd like to find a Laser CNC device at a flee market....

Jerry

What is that you are referring to T_J...
The wood burning pen or the wood burning Laser
CNC device...:thinking:

I'd like to find a Laser CNC device at a flee market....

Jerry

They sell the finished product. Usually a 10"X10" piece of wood, with a cartoon character burned in it. No detail though, just the out line. People were grabbing them up fast. I imagine they must use a laser plotter. I would think CNC machine time would cost too much just to make some silly wood burnings.

rpe

I order a 405nm PHR803T Blu Ray Laser. I'm getting some burning from it. Im going to check out the 808nm.