Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newbie not getting full amps from driver with test load - SOLVED

This is with three diodes and a 1ohm as a shunt as your test load, yes? Measure your input voltage and output voltage (not just the shunt) while the circuit is in operation. If these values remain at 12V and <5V respectively and aren't changing as you increase the potentiometer to its max setting, I would be inclined to say the driver is indeed faulty.

MMcCubbing

@Cyparagon Sorry for the delay. It's been a week.

Yes, I tried changing from the initial 4 diodes that I was using to the 3 recommended earlier and the 1Ω that I have been primarily measuring across.

I tried what you suggested and there is up to a 0.06V variance in the 12V supply and possibly a 0.01V change in the 5V supply as I adjust the trimpot.

I also contacted Techhood about the board and was told that using a 12V 6A supply was too much and that I should try with a 12V 2A. I attempted that as well and only got a maximum of 0.4V across the 1Ω.

I asked for load voltage and you gave me load current. What is the load VOLTAGE?

Techhood is wrong about the power supply, and that's a worrying sign of their support personnel.

MMcCubbing

I asked for load voltage and you gave me load current. What is the load VOLTAGE?

Techhood is wrong about the power supply, and that's a worrying sign of their support personnel.
Sorry, I'm quite new to electrical stuff and so I'm still learning about the theory and terminology. When you wanted me to measure the input and output voltages, do you mean the voltage across the 12V & 5V sources and across the laser driver output pins respectively, instead of just across the 1Ω, while I adjust the trimpot?

And is the reason that techhood's response was wrong because the 6A is a maximum and not a constant?

Protip: Don't try to plan a wedding during a global pandemic. o_O

MMcCubbing

Posting an update to say that I ordered another driver and was able to get things going pretty much right off the bat! So much wasted time for one little component! :ROFLMAO: