Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newbie needs some laser advice...

Hi, I'm very glad to have found this forum. I'm a newbie with a couple questions...

I'd like to make a laser jacket with low powered lasers like the one worn by Bono during U2's current tour (see image below).
I'm in a U2 tribute band (www.u2act.com) and we'd like to incorporate this into our show.

• Would a 1mW to 3mW laser be safe?
  • Where do you think I could get cheap, low powered lasers?

Thanks!
Chris

4168878585_d1e05879ff_b.jpg

At the local flea market near my house, they sell the same type of cheap pointer. Price: 3/ $1.00
They must be factory rejects, or something.
Out of the 21, I bought, 8 were LED'ed,:yabbem: 3 had no threads on the tail cap. 4 measured <2mW:undecided:
1 was spec.(5mW):) and 5 were overspec. between 6 and 15mW.:D

Talk about good quality control!!! I gave them all away as soon as possible.(except for the>10mW ones)LOL

Last edited:
for a red those look high powered. Red's are naturally really dim. They deffinently are NOT anything close to a 1mW to 3mW if their producing that much of a beam. I'm aware that there's alot of smoke. But still, I have a ~180mW red that can barely produce a beam (no smoke though). I believe those are at LEAST 10~15mW.Its hard to say because you don't know exactly how much smoke is in the air. Also, the room isnt completely dark.

As far as building this goes, you can buy the link that Jerry posted

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Wholesale-Lot-of...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5635da1fc3

I don't know about you, but my local $.99 store sells red lasers that are identical to the one in the eBay listing. Maybe you could buy it from there (just a suggestion)

This project would diffidently take alot of soldering that's for sure! good luck :D

Last edited: