Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newbie in need of help!

AndyR

Hi everyone, I recently bought a 5 mW green laser pointer which impressed me to the point that I wanted to buy an even stronger laser. After looking around for a bit, I knew I wanted to find one that could at least smoke some black stuff but not be too dangerous and I came up with a focusable 50 mW green torch from Rayfoss or a similar one from O-like (can't link atm because for some reason both sites are down.)

Which site should I buy from, Rayfoss or o-like? If I shouldn't buy from either, can anyone link a ~50 mW (if 50mW can't burn, then one that will) green laser that can be trusted but isn't too expensive ($40-80)

Has anyone reviewed either laser or owns one and can tell me if they have an IR filter or not and if they don't, should I be worried about the IR coming from one of their 50 mW lasers?

I know I should probably also get goggles also, so can anyone tell me a good pair that won't cost too much (less than $20 preferably) that will block green and IR (the latter only if these 50 mW lasers will be putting it out), or will no goggles block both?

Sorry if I've started this thread in the wrong section (didn't know where else to put it) and for all these questions but I want to be sure I can trust what I am buying and not cause any permanent damage to my eyes...

Oh and also, will a focusable 50 mW green laser be able to burn black things? ...or will I need a higher powered laser to do that?

Ty! :wave:

AndyR

Thanks for the quick response, but I would prefer something I can carry around etc.

D

Deleted member 8382

50 mW IS DANGEROUS. Don't forget that. You need goggles, however the IR coming from it isn't something you should care about. Both stores are reputable and won't let you down.

You'll be able to smoke dark things, but for real burning power get something like what I got, check my signature (the 200mW one) ;)

AndyR

Where would I find a pair of goggles to buy, neither rayfoss nor o-like sells them? I've seen other sites selling them but they are either very expensive ~$100 or have no reviews and do not look very safe. If someone could link a pair of safety goggles for green lasers that are less than 30-40 dollars and can be trusted then that would be great.

Last edited:
Try Scopeguy20 he selles them and I got a pair from him and like them very much ! and he's in the us so quick shipping.
BTW did you realize you first statment in your original post, any laser that can smoke something isn't one to concider still being safe on any account if it can smoke something it's way past hurting an eyeball !
so be sure to get them safety glasses ;)

Pyro...

Where would I find a pair of goggles to buy, neither rayfoss nor o-like sells them? I've seen other sites selling them but they are either very expensive ~$100 or have no reviews and do not look very safe. If someone could link a pair of safety goggles for green lasers that are less than 30-40 dollars and can be trusted then that would be great.

Last edited:

AndyR

Are there any reputable sites that will sell failrly cheap ~$30 532 nm safety goggles?