Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newbie having issue with 405-G1..

beep

Hi,

I am sure that I am doing something wrong because my Axiz lens is far more focused then the 405-G1 from Jayrob. Here are the details of my DIY kit:

1 Cree 18650 kit from Jayrob, hot socket option set to 400mA.
1 blu-ray diode from 12x Pioneer Bluray drive
1 405-g-1 lens mod assembly from Jayrob
1 AixiZ module housing

All ordered items came as expected including instructions.

When assembled, using the 405-G-1, the beam is huge and spotty.
Using the standard AixiZ lens, the beam is much smaller in diameter.

Distance and results:

1 Foot:

AixiZ lens = VERY small dot, after about 10 feet it is size of a dime
405-G-1 lens = about 6 inch spotted dot, after about 10 feet is 4 foot spotted circle.

I am sure that I am doing something wrong, but have followed install instructions for the kit.

Can someone assist?

daguin

Do you have the spring under the lens. If so, you have to cut it in half or remove it and use teflon on the threads to stabilize the lens. The 405-G-1 lens must be much closer to the diode than the stock acrylic.

Another possibility is that the focus ring needs to be backed off a way to allow the lens to screw in farther.

A third possibility is that the diode is not pressed all the way into the aiXiz. The diode must be recessed sub-surface a bit.

Peace,
dave

beep

I believe that the diode is fully seated in the AxiZ casing, a picture of a fully seated one might be useful to me to verify.

I removed the focus ring from the lens assembly to ensure that it was not a spacing issue.

I am thinking that the diode is not fully inserted.
I used the back end of the AxisZ module (positioned with small hole over the 3 pins) in a vise to push the diode into place. To the naked eye, it appears to be.

Thanks daguin for the fast reply.

daguin

insert_LD_correctly.jpg

Yeah. If you just used the back of the module, it ended up "flush." You need to push it in a bit more.

Did the 405-G-1 screw all the way down into the aiXiz? Sometimes the threads get too tight to allow it.

Are you sure it is an aiXiz module. The Sure module doesn't have threads all the way down inside.

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
I believe that the diode is fully seated in the AxiZ casing, a picture of a fully seated one might be useful to me to verify.

I removed the focus ring from the lens assembly to ensure that it was not a spacing issue.

I am thinking that the diode is not fully inserted.
I used the back end of the AxisZ module (positioned with small hole over the 3 pins) in a vise to push the diode into place. To the naked eye, it appears to be.

Thanks daguin for the fast reply.

The back of AxiZ module will only push the diode flush, it needs to be a little deeper

lol Dave is faster

Last edited:
If you only used the back of the Aixiz module to push in the LD
then your LD is not seated properly...
It goes in a bit more than flush when properly seated...

[EDIT] damn... I just don't type fast enough...:p

Jerry

CTM

i'm sorry. You people just say do.
Can I ask why it needs to be pushed in passed flushed?
I couldn't even get mine flushed because my module ended up breaking trying to get what you say is correct in the picture.
So now it's just sticking out, and it still works.

Last edited:
[EDIT] damn... I just don't type fast enough...:p

You & me both lol.

See the end of Mohrenberg's video in harvesting loc lpc 815 diode for how to press your diode in fully.

i'm sorry. You people just say do.
Can I ask why it needs to be pushed in passed flushed?
I couldn't even get mine flushed because my module ended up breaking, so it's sticking out.

The focal length of 405-G1 requires it to be very close to the diode. Without the diode recessed into your module it is sitting even farther away from your lens. I have never tried a diode that wasn't recessed with a stock plastic AixiZ lens so IDK what kind of focus you could get if it isn't even flush. Try removing the spring & adding teflon (plumbing) tape to the threads to see how your focus is screwed in all the way.

Last edited:

beep

Thanks guys for the fast response.

I am using the AxiZ module, and have confirmed that the diode is flush, and not fully seated. I was not aware that there was a small recess gap.

What they all above said is correct. That G1 lens needs to almost touch the diode and will give you pinpoint beam.
On some Aixiz modules, the plating seems to build up a little more in the pocket and I use an xacto knife to clean the pocket before pressing the diode. Remove the spring and try it.
If you have a drill press, use it as an arbor press and use a "small" tube to finish pressing the diode as Dave shows. I make my pressing and removal tools. You can purchase tools on the BST forum.

HMike

What they all above said is correct. That G1 lens needs to almost touch the diode and will give you pinpoint beam.
On some Aixiz modules, the plating seems to build up a little more in the pocket and I use an xacto knife to clean the pocket before pressing the diode. Remove the spring and try it.

Thanks Hemlock_Mike I haven't heard that tip before. :beer:

I clean the base of the pocket. You still need a tight fit for heat conduction.
The Aixiz housing trick worked for a long time with the reds but the housing bottoms on the module before the diode is fully seated. Adding a tiny washer may help to get full force only to the diode body.
Also, there are Aixiz housings and clones being sold which have different tollerances.

HMike

Base of the pocket would be toward the back or front of the Aixiz (collimating lens)?

Now I going to have to look for a tiny washer that would fit. I would like that better.

OMG --- Use the tiny washer as a pressing shim on the outside -- don't dump it in there. It's to allow pressing the entire diode housing into the bottom of the mounting recessed pocket.

HMike

....huh? No, sorry I did not mean I was going to see if it fit Inside with the diode & drop it in there.
Now I going to have to look for a tiny washer that would fit.
I was just wondering outloud about finding a tiny one next time I'm at the hardware store. By "fit" I just meant one with the right outer diameter (& drill the washer hole larger if needed).
I would epoxy the washer to the backend of the Aixiz.

Last edited: