Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newbie - First Built

Very soon will be putting my first laser together....

Parts ordered:

Nichia NDB7875 445nm 9mm Copper 445nm Blue Laser Module W/2.3A X-Drive & 405-G-2 - Received (DTR)
Nitecore Intellicharge i2 - Received
2x AW IMR 18350 700mAh LiMN Rechargeable Lithium Battery - Received
Skyray Host Kit W/ Heat Sink - Received
Eagle Pair 190-540nm + 900-1700nm goggles - Received

Anything else I will need for this first built? Any helpful advice?

PS: Quick question ... length of wires from module to driver is it makes any difference? Other words shorter = better?

Last edited:

SKeeZ

Thats one hell of a first build. WEAR YOUR GOGGLES. not so sure about the batteries. never heard of lithium manganese. and yes, Shorter= better for 1 real reason, Space. i bent a pin on my diode once because i jammed 8 inches of wire and heatshrink into a C6 host.

Thanks for quick respond, so judging from your message I will be satisfied with first laser :) As far for batteries and all other parts … all of them was ordered per DTR recommendations very satisfied with this seller and his help.

BTW:

This is my laser module...

p10194951.jpg

Last edited:
Thats one hell of a first build. WEAR YOUR GOGGLES.

For cereal! I always love frequenting 405(phr805t) or 650(lpc826) first builds. When I started out I made around 15 makeshift lpc/phrs I feel like I would have fudged up my eyes were I to start with a 9mm. Then again, I'm a shoot first ask questions later kind of guy. Sounds like you did the right amount of research, but real deal, and I know everyone says it, but Wear them goggs. Hopefully it never happens, but if you ever have a bad reflection or a host roll of the desk while running during beam shots, good goggles(while expensivish depending on your income) are way cheaper than new eyeballs, at least on the current market. And if/when it happens, you too will drop this knowledge on new comers. Hope it all works smoothly, Good Luck!

Best Regards
-Bryan

Pman

Looking good. Take your time, have fun, be safe.

Thanks guys and I have one more question… first I thought those safety goggles are bit overrated but when I read more and more I realized that for my built I will definitely need one but my question is … do I need to wear them all the time what about if I point my laser to night sky can I watch my beam without the safety glasses?

SKeeZ

I think they will be ok, they are meant specifically for greens due to the IR they emit but you should be good

Thanks guys and I have one more question… first I thought those safety goggles are bit overrated but when I read more and more I realized that for my built I will definitely need one but my question is … do I need to wear them all the time what about if I point my laser to night sky can I watch my beam without the safety glasses?

You will be fine viewing the beam of the laser without goggles while pointing it at the night sky, as long as there is no danger of viewing the dot of the laser to close. A hazard could arise if there are bugs in the air in which case the laser might come into contact with one at close range.

But obviously common sense and cautiousness is absolutely critical when handling a laser, especially of that kind of output. Just remember to wear goggles ALL the time when viewing the laser dot up close and when there is a danger of direct and diffused reflections.

Also note that the driver will need heatsinking if you intend on using the laser for more than half a minute.

OK I will remember that and be careful. My host come with heat sink so I should be fine. What is recommended continuous time to not damage lens or fry a driver?

You will be fine viewing the beam of the laser without goggles while pointing it at the night sky, as long as there is no danger of viewing the dot of the laser to close. A hazard could arise if there are bugs in the air in which case the laser might come into contact with one at close range.

But obviously common sense and cautiousness is absolutely critical when handling a laser, especially of that kind of output. Just remember to wear goggles ALL the time when viewing the laser dot up close and when there is a danger of direct and diffused reflections.

Also note that the driver will need heatsinking if you intend on using the laser for more than half a minute.

OK I will remember that and be careful. My host come with heat sink so I should be fine. What is recommended continuous time to not damage lens or fry a driver?

Personally I would keep it to 60 sec on 60 sec off. As a guideline just wait until the host gets warm and thats when you should turn it off and wait for it to cool down

SKeeZ

200th POST! :)

Will is right, I try to keep even my M140 2Watt to 45 Sec on 2 Min off

Last edited:
OK thanks for advice, once I get all my parts together I will post some pictures... stay tuned :)

When you get your host, although it does have a heatsink you may find that the board doesnt make contact with the heatsink. You might want some heatsink cement to fill the space between the board and heatsink. but if you do that put some heat-shrink tubing around the board in case you ever need to harvest it for another project. Just a thought... Good luck though mate. :)

SKeeZ

It will be a wonderful day, the day you get that host. I hate waiting for things in the mail with a passion.