Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New X50 won't show beam. Broke?=(

raptor

I bought two lasers from novalasers.
One X100 and one X50 for my friend.
The X100 has got an extremly visible beam and spot with a very long range.
However the X50 doesn't show up a beam at all and the spot is not as light intense as the X100.
My question. Is the X50 broke? Shouldn't it atleast display a bit weaker beam?

How much stronger beam should the x100 have compared to a x50?

Edit: Check out the image! What would you say?

Regards
Eikido

Attachments

• x50.jpg
    x50.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 120

diachi

it should be about 1/2 the brightness, depending on the surface, but that looks broken, maybe RMA it ?

Can you see the beam AT ALL ?

Ace82

Try swapping the batteries. The batteries would be the first avenue I'd check; type? charged?

There should be a significant difference from the 100 & 50, but that picture looks like a 30mW & a 5mW but pictures can be deceptive.

You haven't dropped it right?

the x-50 should pop balloons easily at close range, the 100 at a little further.

daguin

Without a power meter, there is no way to know what is actually going on. However, it certainly doesn't appear to be half as bright.

Ace82 said:
Try swapping the batteries. The batteries would be the first avenue I'd check; type? charged?

I learned this lesson the hard way myself :-[ Always check the battery FIRST!

Peace,
dave

raptor

ALMOST no. If you put it close to your eye and beam on objects far away you will see it very weak.
When you say 1/2 the brightness. What does the surface has to do with beam?

raptor

We use exactly the same batteries. I bought a 4 pack duracell m3 alkaline. I even swapped mine with his.
And no we haven't dropped it. We handle it with care mate! We know these pens are quiet fragile and treat them better then cell phones:)

Eikido

Diachi said:
it should be about 1/2 the brightness, depending on the surface, but that looks broken, maybe RMA it ?

Can you see the beam AT ALL ?
Actually it should be brighter than half the brightness of the X100. Remember the rule "for every 4x the power, you get 2x the brightness".

Compared to that X100 the X50 looks too dim. Like others have said try popping a balloon with it. If it can't then you definitely should RMA it.

raptor

On the picture. The X50 has got even fresher batteries. To your right is mini supermarket. We tried new batteries. Same batteries. Duracell M3.

Edit: I've had a "True" DX50 before so i know how it should look like IF i didn't get a monster true DX50 that outputted much more than 50mw:) I've heard you can get such "defects".
We'll try to pop a balloon tomorrow.

Raptor/Eikido

Ace82

daguin said:
Without a power meter, there is no way to know what is actually going on.  However, it certainly doesn't appear to be half as bright.

[quote author=Ace82 link=1219091938/0#2 date=1219093223]Try swapping the batteries.  The batteries would be the first avenue I'd check; type? charged?

I learned this lesson the hard way myself  :-[  Always check the battery FIRST!

Peace,
dave[/quote]

You are one of the most intelligent people I know, what did you do?

Maybe you should check the aperture first, you know, power it up while staring into the beam.. :eek: ;D.JUST KIDDING, DON'T DO THAT!!! :cool:
Does it have lint or other obstructions in the aperture?
Check the stability. Does it flicker, or "morph" shapes (modes) and have inconsistent power? If so, it would be a crystal issue.
Did it provide this concern from the very beginning, or is it a fairly new development (curiosity only)

sorry, seems like you might need to RMA it, but from what I've heard, they compensate you pretty good for the inconvenience.

I just bought the x-75 btw, can't wait to review it! ;)

rathat

my x100's batteries are loose inside and i have to put a price of foil in between the battery and the end cap to stop it from dimming and sometimes i have to flick it for full power. with out the foil it almost wont work at all.
Im thinking of getting those conductive spacing magnets from DX. try putting some foil in the end cap or lightly flicking it to see if it changes
I have also noticed the spring recovers if you leave the batteries out, and the foil spacing become ineffective if it stays in to long as it seems it smashes the spring.

rathat said:
my x100's batteries are loose inside and i have to put a price of foil in between the battery and the end cap to stop it from dimming and sometimes i have to flick it for full power. with out the foil it almost wont work at all.
Im thinking of getting those conductive spacing magnets from DX. try putting some foil in the end cap or lightly flicking it to see if it changes
Use a tiny washer, one of my aaa pair does this.

daguin

Rangedunits said:
[quote author=rathat link=1219091938/0#10 date=1219184173]my x100's batteries are loose inside and i have to put a price of foil in between the battery and the end cap to stop it from dimming and sometimes i have to flick it for full power. with out the foil it almost wont work at all.
Use a tiny washer, one of my aaa pair does this.[/quote]

I use small rare earth magnets. You can get them in just about any size you need. I use 1/32"x3/16" to "extend" the 10440's so that they can reach the contacts. 10440's don't have the little "nub" that AAA batteries do. The magnets are "stiff" and they will stay where you put them. If you need a stronger contact, you use a thicker magnet.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=10

Peace,
dave

raptor

Forgot to mention that i managed to pop a red balloon but i had to hold the pointer less than 0,40 inch away to be able to pop it.

Regards
Raptor

raptor

The laser was broke according to novalasers!
Because of that they upgraded it to a X75 for free:)!

It was only outputting 22mw average!