Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

new toy: 100 mW red labby

Just got this marvellous little thing from DX...

laser1red.jpg

A 100 mW red labby! http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10095

It arrived in the mail this morning. It was well-packed although the little dessicant bag ripped open and sent thousands of little pellets all over my hardwood floor... LOL.

The laser was tightly packed in an antistatic bag, surrounded by red bubblewrap (tension film?)* ;) and posted in a bubblewrap envelope.

The laser was powered with a regulated 5V drive supply and shines like i've never seen red before... didn't try anything fancy yet with it, but I did feel a very warm sensation when waving my hand in front of the beam.

The radiator is quite sturdy and heavy. Thankfully, they stuck the QC label in front of the aperture of the laser, thus avoiding dirt and grime (ant dessicant pellets) to get near the lens. the power supply is quite small, and the finition underneath leaves a bit to be desired, I may have to scrub the PCB to remove all the contaminated varnish and redo a few solder points here and there.

Initial test show that this unit is drawing about 260 mA, but not owning a LPM, I can't confirm the actual mW power output. All I know is the beam is a bit visible in ambient light and the dot is extremely bright! :D

I'll do a bit of experimentation later... been dying to try to point this along with a green module on one of the little splitter beam cubes I have to see if I can approximate something close to yellow... :D

Anyway, I am now a member of the 100 mW club (I know, I know, it's just kindergarden compared to the half watt club that many of you are in, but it's better than being a 5 mW noob... LOL!

Robert

PS: *see if anyone can get the TV show reference to red bubblewrap... ;)

They are nice for the price...
Now you just need to get a Green Labby...:whistle:

BTW... I hope you invested in Laser Safety Goggles...:thinking:

Jerry

Those have made alot of members very happy as you seem to be.:beer:

Down the road let us know what happens w/this unit. jander6442

@ laserbee: I am now the proud owner of three pairs of goggles. One for greenies (dark red), one for blueray and a dark green one for the red lasers. A green labby would be fine, but not really needed since such a powerful laser might overwhelm the output of my red unit. I got the 30 mW DX green module just for that purpose. :D

@ jander6442: Yup, happy camper here... just enjoying the cool laser glow surrounding me. I have my Doctor Evil wobbly head figurine wobbling in approval, Bwah hah hah! :eg:

Robert

Things

I bought 4 of these, I am also very happy with them for the price! The brass collimating modules inside are well worth over $16 alone, the beam/dot is very clean!

These are really great! TTL driver with green module power supply and blanking supported! i might get one if i ever save enough money for my scanpro 20 :(

Just discovered something that caught my attention.

bags.jpg

I always save antistatic bags, they are often useful for storing or shipping stuff, so as I was about to store the bag that my red labby came in, I noticed the handwriting on several bags is in all points similar. Now I'm not an expert at calligraphy, but it took me half a second to notice the similitude between the handwriting on the two bags.

Nothing unusual you would say since I order a lot of stuff from DX, except the bag in the back is from DX and the one in the front is from... Rayfoss!!! :eek: :yabbem:

Are both companies the same? Is it the same person taking care of packagins stuff for shipment? Is this a global conspiracy? Have I uncovered a top secret plan to control the universe with lasers? Will my computer explode and kill me? LOL!! Just kidding! :D

Okay... but this is still quite intriguing, isn't it? ;)

Robert

or maybe the schooling is so strict in china that all childrens handwriting is the same... just a thought :D jks!

i also think o-like and rayfoss are the same company too.. i had a simular experience wher i ordered a host from rayfoss 3 days after i ordered a laser module from o-like and they arrived on the same day :thinking: they also had the same stickers and simular hand writing.. i dunno.. kinda creepy!

-Adrian

Things

They both most likely have the same manufacturer, newwish. DX nor rayfoss actually package anything themselves, DX just buys the stuff from them, chucks em in a post bag and sends it off to you ....