Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New to the forum and lasers.

Hey everyone, I am new to all of this. I have tinkered around with some diodes out of old cd/ dvd burners, but don't really know what I'm doing. I always use caution and work safely. I would just like to know if you guys have any ideas on a good place to start. I would eventually like to do my own builds, but I'm unsure of what a proper starting place would be. Should I purchase a kit, ready to go, or go ahead and try a build? Any information would be helpful. I have minimal experience with electronics and how they work exactly, but do have some knowledge and am very good at researching and learning quickly. I have most of the tools, safety equipment, and components that I need( except for diodes).
Thanks.

Welcome to LPF, fellow Hoosier! :) What area of Indiana are you from? As for advice on getting started with building lasers, I personally can't give a lot of advice on that topic, as I'm just starting out myself, but I'll help as best I can. ^_^

Kits, which you mentioned, seem to be a relatively good way to ease the initial learning curve associated with building, and can help you familiarize yourself with how to properly assemble lasers prior to potentially diving into fully, or mostly, custom builds, though I've seen posts from plenty of people that dove right into almost entirely from-scratch builds. I'm not certain of what would usually be a good place to start, but I have seen it recommended that people new to building start out with simple 650nm, or possibly 405nm builds, but outside of that, I can't say much.

I myself am planning to start with a high-power 405nm, but I can't say that that would necessarily be the recommended route, nor can I say that it is a good route for most. For a good introductory thread about building lasers, you might want to take a glance here, it has a fair bit of good information available about getting started.

Once again, welcome to the forums! :) I hope you enjoy your stay!

See you soon,
Dragon/Cody

welcome.gif
to the Forum websterma.... Reading
the tutorials and reviews sections should get
you started..

Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..
http://laserpointerforums.com/tou.htm

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and PLEASE don't forget to read to this....

39 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

If you do get a Laser or already have one be sure
to get appropriate Laser Safety Goggles/Glasses...

Get Some Safety Goggles Now!

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

Don't bash WL with old news lasersbee lol they aren't as bad as they were now. Based on the (albeit minimal) reviews of WL recently (not WL fans), they seem to be at least satisfactory nowadays haha I know it's strange but they are actually improving. Still wouldn't recommend them at the moment, but it's not a STAY AWAY kinda thing anymore :p

EDIT: Plus, I'm sure if any WL customer is not satisfied they'll speak up. As with any unhappy customer :p

Last edited:
Don't bash WL with old news lasersbee lol they aren't as bad as they were now. Based on the (albeit minimal) reviews of WL recently (not WL fans), they seem to be at least satisfactory nowadays haha I know it's strange but they are actually improving. Still wouldn't recommend them at the moment, but it's not a STAY AWAY kinda thing anymore :p

EDIT: Plus, I'm sure if any WL customer is not satisfied they'll speak up. As with any unhappy customer :p

I guess you are new here........

If you had read my posts on the ordeal that I personally
experienced with the WL liars you would understand my
stance on WL and the very bad taste they left in my mouth.
That will never change.....

Unfortunately it is not up to you to tell me what I can and
can not Post about WL or anything else for that matter...:cryyy:

So.... tell us what WL Lasers you have bought and your
Lasers's power tested by you as compare to WL stated
output power....

Jerry

Last edited:
Even if WL had no shipping time problems, had on or overspec lasers, and great customer service, their lasers are still over priced.

I would think much of their business is due to ads and people not researching before they buy. They were the first company I looked at, but I am glad I did not buy