Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New to lasers, bought this kit.....

Hi everybody, please see my introduction in the 'Welcome' section.

I have bought the following kit (as well as 100mw Red laser)

EBAY

Firstly is this kit OK? (thought the heatsink was a little feable) and how would i power it? I have a salvaged PSU from a PC......

Any help appreciated!

TF

You'll need a driver to control the current and depending on what host you're going to put the module into will depend on what batteries you will need not unless it's a lab style. You will need at least 8V and a square battery won't do either. Lithiums are best for this job.

Will these builds be a Lab style or in a torch hand held style ?

Hi I am planning to build a static setup initially, so mounted in a large heat sink atop a table sort of thing as my first project.

Please bear with me if i sound stupid!

The PSU i have has an output of.....

DC: 250W

+12V 7.0A

The kit listed above includes the driver? Would this PSU be ok to power the set up?

TF

I see you too (kookapeli) are based in the UK (I'm from Oxford), where do you source your laser supplies?

anselm

Since I suppose you didn't read my post in the other thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfuse View Post
... bearing in mind I am based in the UK what would the best laser parts supplier be?

Odicforce immediately springs to mind.
They have an online store and I think they're on ebay as well.
Read the 1st link in my signature to get acquainted with laser related lingo.

Quote:
I have salvaged from a PC a power supply and heat sinks etc where do i go next?

2nd link in my signature shows what you can do with that stuff.
*shameless plug*

Also, read this thread about your power supply.

I see you too (kookapeli) are based in the UK (I'm from Oxford), where do you source your laser supplies?

Various places rely. I get my diodes from the group buys in the GB section. I have bought a few bits n pieces from Odicforce, Dr Lava's site (Cant remember his webpage, something like Hycylon ??) I've bought lenses from Rayfoss and a few pieces from Hightechdealz. For Hosts I've got them from a member on here called Mohrenberg. As for batteries i get them from dealextreme