Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New to here and full of ignorence

Well what can I tell you about myself? I have had a fascination with laser pointers since I was a small child but always have been disappointed by their lack of power and lack of focus. I know little about the physics but a little more of the different types of lasers IE solid state, free electron ect. I know that in the near future finances permitting I would like to construct my own high powered burning laser but first need some literature to enlighten me on reliable vendors on parts and what kind of parts I should look into since like the topic title says I am bursting with ignorance and the posts I have read here for the past couple of months are a little more than confusing. any help would be great. In the fall I will be heading into college for a degree in computer game design since I love modding games to death so I might as well make them right? lol well that it from me for now.

YGG

Look in the B/S/T for laser kits from multiple members, they also have instructions on what else to get in the thread. You should decide on color though, the most common in builds today would be green, violet or red. Isn't modding games the greatest though??? I enjoy that to. Be careful lasers may cause obsession.

so far all I have decided is to go for blue ray with the 405-G-1 lens mode <big money there but worth it I think and using a flash light host still need to read more :p

YGG

Oh the lens is definitely worth it I can tell you that. I could burn white paper with a PHR, the most commonly used but weaker blu-ray diode. I am getting a 6x right now, think I payed just over 200$ total for it, it's 248mw with glass, I have yet to receive it in the mail. I found the MXDL host very easy to work with, it was my first build. Just be very careful when soldering stuff. The MXDL has ample room for error and is just a simply solid feeling build. I can highly recommend it for a first build, I would get jayrob's heat sink as well though if you are going that route.